2 days of taking Citalopram bad side effects.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was recently put on this medication for PPD and anxiety, I was hesitant from the beginning. Last night after 2 hours of taking my 10 mg dosage I felt so out of it and felt like I was dreaming, shortly after I felt my head on fire. Soon it moved to the rest of my body. I was so scared, fiancé decided to take me to the hospital because he saw how I was. He also noticed my eyes were extremely dilated. The doctor that seen me just pretty much said stop taking it and call your dr first thing but it's the weekend so I'm out of luck. Right now I'm still feeling out of it, sweaty palms, anxious. Not really wanting to leave the couch. I feel worse now then when I started this medication. I regret taking this drug, it completely scared me to take any sort of antidepressant. 😐

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I've been on this for a week now and my side effects are: increased anxiety, drowsiness, upset stomach, no appetite, slight headaches, jitters, and hot and cold flashes. You might have had a bad reaction to it but this med does have harsh side effects I feel way worse since I've started taking it. Your doctor should've told you potential side effects and that it could take up to a month before you feel any better. I've read about other people having dialted eyes while taking this too. Just talk with your doctor and see if you should keep at it, adjust your dose, or swap to something else. Feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thanks, I have a 5 month old and feel like I'm not in the right state of mind to care for him. Fiancé had to take off work, feeling like this is very scary to me. I'm also dealing with GI problems. I was reading other threads and saw that some people have withdrawal problems, I hope that isn't the case for me since I only took it for 2 days. But man I can't wait to stop feeling like this.
    • Posted

I know how you feel I started feeling bad a few hours after I took my first dose. I hate that you don't feel you can care for your baby right now. I hope you find some peace and feel even a bit better soon!
  • Posted

I also feel like I'm in a dream state just gliding through the day like I'm not all there.
  • Posted

I was/am in the same exact boat. It's part of the side affects of the medication . I also had dilated eyes a depersonization feeling, but it's all apart of the process. Your dr will probably suggest to wait it out of increase your dose, but so far it's way to early to stop the medication. You have to keep up with it I promise things will get better! It's all apart of the process☺️
  • Posted

Hi Gloria

Talk to your doctor on Monday and ask about Escitalopram ,it's similar to citalopram still an SSRI and more modern. I have just switched two weeks ago and so far no side effects but had plenty on Citalopram.

Then I have never taken Escitalopram. From the beginning.

Perhaps someone on here could tell us if they had bad side effects from taking Lexapro (Escitalopram ) from the beginning.

All these meds take weeks and months to work but worth it if you can ride the storm.Most doctors in Australia are now prescribing Escitalopram so worth discussing with your doctor as it is new and improved .Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you I will definitely ask him about it on Monday. I stopped taking Citalopram, scared me to death. I still feel the effects from the pills and I only took it for 2 days. I can't wait to be over this completely.
  • Posted

Hi gloria...I felt the same way on day 1 and I'm only in 5mg..today is day 11 for me...the only side effects I get are tightness in my chest..short breath..but not sure if it's the medication..or anxiety??but besides that it does calm me down. Everyone keeps telling me anxiety is the last thing to go away..I that it will get worse before it gets better...I that trying to stick to it and hope it works...I too have 3 little ones to care for..and all of this is very scary for me...I don't see my doc until the 13th...I tried to stop taking it today. And got very dizzy..and weird vision..so because I panicked..I took my pill..I hate all this..
    • Posted

Yeah it's pretty tough. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to see what he recommends. My anxiety is pretty bad. I'm also dealing with a cold, sore throat. Within doing my research on this drug I found out it is a possible side effect. I threw my pills in the garbage out of frustration on how I'm feeling right now. 😓
    • Posted

Let us know what your doctor recommends Gloria .Thinking of you and hope you come up with a recovery strategy.
    • Posted

Hey guys! So I went back to my dr Thursday and he put me back on it and lowered my dosage. Today is day 4, and man am I feeling the anxiety. My hands are sweaty and my feet, I almost feel like giving up again but my anxiety without the medication was an everyday thing. So I have to give this a try even if it's freaking me out all over again.
    • Posted

So glad you are giving this a go Gloria thats the right atttitude.dont let it get the better of you. Once you stop fearing the symptoms they will go into remission ,its the fear of the symptoms which fuel the intensity of the anxiety. I found that a sedative helped me deal with the anxiety and just took the edge off it.Once the cit kicks in you wont need the sedative.Ask your doctor if they can prescribe this sedative because it does help you to sleep at night and to cope during the day.Other coping strategies are CBT and Meditation CDs,even Music which is soothing can help. I used to find distraction like weeding the garden helped as it was a form of distraction and as the day wore on the anxiety would subside. Eventually i was left with just the morning anxiety which was the last to go. It takes months not weeks to feel completely well so take one day at a time or one hour at a time.Keep a diary of your anxiety and this gives you a visual of your progress which will definitely be in waves. lots of ups and downs but you will get there..
    • Posted

Hi my morning anxiety and intrusive thoughts are bad how long did this take to clear up on cit for u?
    • Posted

Thanks! I am still holding on and going along this bumpy ride. Yesterday i didn't have anxiety but I also did take a Xanax. My psychologist doesn't want me taking them because he doesn't want me getting addicted. This morning was rough, sweaty hands and just anxious.
    • Posted

Totally understandable. I have a script of Xanax right next to me and I've had it for 3 months and I've only taken 7. Some mornings are extreme and taking one everyone once and a while is perfectly normal and okay. Baby steps Gloria were all in this together!
    • Posted

Hi Don i started cit for the second time about June 2014 and by November I was anxiety free that is the end of November. It took that long and I had many setbacks, so what you are going through is part of the journey.

You also possibly need CBT to help your mindset once you stop resisting the anxiety symptoms and think stuff it! it will subside.Its a lot like a bully the anxiety you need to try and ignore it and act as if you are accepting it and know it will pass.Once bullies know they are not affecting you any more and not retaliating they back off. It is the fear of the anxiety symptoms you need to address and a good pychologist should be able to help you.

Youve felt better before Don you can do it again!

• Posted

Just take a xanax when you really need to and you just cant cope.I dont need to take any now but certainly needed them when the anxiety was really bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.