2 days post microdiscectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a microdiscectomy l5 s1 2 days ago the nerve pain is almost gone but I am in a lot of pain from the operation. I have a really sore mouth and nose and struggle to get comfortable particularly last night. Has anyone got any advice? I know my op took 2 1/2 hours as the disc had shattered and it took a while picking all of the pieces. My surgeon said he had to a long way north and south.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

He had to go a long way north and south.
  • Posted

Hi Vicky, i have had L4 and L5 out (L5 11 weeks ago).

They have to move the back muscles out of the way and sometimes remove small pieces of bone (My op was recorded and i have a dvd of the operation). Its a slow process to full recovery - seems very slow as patient.

Make sure you see a physio who will probaly do Ultrasound? This helps break up the scar tisue which left could route to the nerve and cause paine later.

Keep doing the excersises they gave you. I found the walking each day helped - a bit further each day. If you do this and try an remember how the pain was 1 week prior. Recovery is usually around 3 months, though i was on a train to work 2 weeks later.

Chin up - the worst is over and you are on the recovery path

• Posted

Vicky,

Thanks for putting up a post. You probably didn't read my story as it was a while ago. I had l5 s1 micro at the end of March!!

Sadly only 1 day after getting home I herniated again, it was traumatic & I was in more pain than the first time. I then had revision at the end of April which was far less traumatic (I get white coat syndrome)!!

You have to understand that they properly tear you around inside, it's major surgery.y second surgery for 3 hours first one was 2.5. You will be sore of course, just relax, allow people to care for you, do little walks, do your exercises, build up your core, drink plenty & eat well. Then build it up when you feel ready to do so! I just lay on the sofa for weeks!!! smile

Take care keep us updated!! X

• Posted

Hi. I have not had any surgery yet however am under the surgeon, they seem to be avoiding surgery option at all costs, did they do that with you, how long did it take for you to get surgery? I am desperate for surgery as the pain is horrid, even with an excessive amount of tablets, I have had a nerve root block, which has now totally worn off but still have a 4 week wait to see the surgeon again. Any advice? How long do you have to stay in hospital for post surgery? Thanks! And I hope you are recovering well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.