2 Days Till Surgery Number 2 😖

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all!

I posted the other day to see if anyone has had superior capsule reconstruction after a failed RC repair. My f/u surgery for this is 2 days away at this point...and I'm starting to get anxious and panicky. I'm always afraid of pain management.

A little OT, but I suffer from chronic migraines and I can't even count how many times I was desperate enough to go to the ER, only to be tuck away in a corner room and pandered to for 3 or 4 hours before I could "convince" the staff to give me something more than Benadryl and Zofran (some of these visits I came straight from my neurologist's office who insisted I go and informed them I was coming). Needless to say I'm always worried about pain management.

But my ortho Dr is amazing, and I trust he'll take care of me. There's just always that dread and fear of losing control of the pain and spiraling into a panic attack. So I just needed to vent a little to some peeps who've been here before. Any suggestions are more than welcome! At the very least thanks for reading 😃.

Here's a link to my OP. Just FYI.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/has-anyone-had-superior-capsule-reconstruction--697728

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have had 3 shoulder surgeries in 2 1/2 years. The last time was the superior capsular reconstruction. I learned this lesson quickly. I assume you will get a nerve block. This is done before surgery. I asked the doctor to give me something to relax me before that shot and he did. I wasn't even aware of what he was doing. The first time I didn't ask for some medication and Lord I thought I would pass out. Tears running down my face. So ask for it. I'm sure they will give it to you. INSIST! The nerve block will block most of the pain for about 24 hours. The first time I was sailing along and then it wore off. Yup I ended up back in the emergency getting morphine for the pain. Make sure to start taking your pain medication BEFORE the nerve block wears off. The second time I started taking it the evening of the surgery before I went to bed. And I laid one pill next to me so I could take it 4 hours later if I woke up (I didn't put the whole bottle cause I didn't want to accidentally take more than I should). Then be sure to take the meds every 4 hours and ice ice ice. I only took them for 2-3 days and then extra strength tylenol worked for me. Don't forget to take a stool softener starting the day of surgery. Pain medications will bind you up and you don't want that headache.I hope your surgery is as successful as mine was. It's been a little over a year and I'm so glad I had it done. Recovery is slow, so be patient and you will get there. I have found orthopedic surgeons are pretty generous with pain medications.Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.