2 different ENT opinions now what ?😒

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi to anyone who takes time to read this ,

Im 56 and had a Grommet in my 30 s to clear glue ear . Id never had a problem in childhood with my ears.

over the intervening years I had the odd ear infection then just before lockdown in feb 20 my ear drum was perforated during an ear wax removal procedure

(not microsuction )which my practice nurse recommended as she told me the NHS didnt do it anymore . The perforation was fixed in june 21. In summer last year I had congestion in the same

ear due to bad Hay fever symptoms and I had another perforation outside the repair I was referred back to ENT which even when expedited by my GP took 8months to see someone. The consultant said its not ETD causing the fluid but TMJ. Now ,I have been a Dental professional for 32 years and understand the link between grinding your teeth ( Bruxism) and ear pain but couldn't see how that would cause an eardrum to re- perforate. This consultant was set on that diagnosis so last week I paid privately for a second opinion with a different consultant who said yep its ETD and you have glue ear. she said balloon dilation is not always successful and recommended a steroid nasal spray.

Ive had ear pain almost daily for 10+ months. I do feel congested and my ear feels wet on waking.

Im doing steam inhalations daily and do a valsalva nose pinch when needed.

Im so fed up and half of me thinks could this be a tmj problem in the background ?

just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation and what did you do that helped ? atm its probably stressing me a bit so I am grinding!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.