2 episodes, sent to ER both times = ablation 5 yrs ago/Does anyone have side effects like mine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had to have the ablation immediately since I was rushed to the ER both times it happened. Adenosine was used both times because they were unable to control it themselves and too much time had passed which becomes life threatening.

I've had side effects ever since & I cannot determine wether or not it is normal. When I do, I call them "misfires" - it feels like my heart is rerouted because of my extra circuit (I would reach 220 bpm when in SVT) but then it stops and drops. It feels like it is trying to hop onto the wrong route but is deflected on the inside. When I check my pulse, it feels as though i skip a beat. Some aren't distracting but some make me feel like I could leap up and out of bed it is so "shocking"

It is so hard to explain it but I know here that someone might have the same post-op side effects. At least I am hoping so. Since the surgery I have never fully gone back into SVT, but what it feels like ever since, is that it is TRYING to. sometimes I don't feel these "misfires" for weeks, and sometimes I feel them all day. I have tried everything for trail and error elimination. As we know, alcohol, caffiene, smoking, etc. can make it worse...but now I starting to wonder if the Dr didn't fully ablate the electrical map of the extra circuit. It feels like my heart is sendin gthe message in the wrong way but only makes it so far (to where it was burned) and then bounces back - resets - and then beats normally. IF I have several dozen of these in a row, I get light headed and dizzy. I have never gone back into a 200+ bpm though. I'm so confused but so curious if anyone out there has had similar experiences.

At times, I am freightened that it is pushing it's way back to the route that has been burned off. Like it one day will push through the very old scar tissue and reoccur....wondering if I will just be uncomfortable for the rest of the life......

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am right there with you! I've experienced skipped beats since my surgery in July 2016. I know they are common 2-4 weeks after the ablation and I've come to just accept that I'm going to have them for a while. I'll take them over an SVT episode any day. I have thought of visiting my doctor to see if it is something that can be taken care of or handled with medication. They still make me uneasy and scared that my SVT may come back. I just want you to know you are not alone. I'm glad I read your post and now know that I am not alone.

• Posted

I would take them over the episodes any day too! Thank you so much for your reply. For so long I really have felt alone. Scared too that it will come back but you should know, mine has been feeling the same way for almost SIX YEARS, & although I think it is going to break through at any moment - I have been alright. Check out the other reply I got from Dawn, that made me feel soooo much better, just as you have! Thank you!!! Making healthy choices keeps them away, there is no doubt about that. If I get a really good night of sleep and stay away from alcohol, I practically feel normal and the day goes much better in terms of my heart. staying hydrated helps too!!

• Posted

to me it feels like a car that you are revving up inside you, such a weird feeling but then it goes, as it cant go anywhere.  I also have had a (hard to explain but if you have a lighter turn the wheel the other way and the zapping noise it makes) I have what that sounds like in my chest and the doctor says its electrical conductivity and then all the skipped beats and extra beats start, which make me feel spaced out, but apparently eptopic beats drop your bloody pressure and thats why you feel dizzy, but they also make my chest hurt and they say it something that i will have to put up with it,who knows
    • Posted

Eptopic beats! I never knew what it was! You have no idea how happy I am that there is a name for what I feel! I mean, for years now, I thought I had a "glitch" from my ablation. Also glad it really does relate to dizziness and such. I'm so happy I posted here thank you so much Dawn

• Posted

eptopic beats - yes apparently they are harmless and people have them all the time but apparently as we are sensitised to our heart we feel everyone we have, so hard going to the doctors and trying to explain what is going on inside when you cant see it, i feel every skippied beat, every extra beat and they say its normal, somedays i have them so bad i feel like i have been run over by a bus. especially the one where you say it makes you want to leap out of bed, my doc said apparently its like being hit by lightning, and sometimes its feels like it lol. With me though they couldnt get all of the dodgy bit as its too near the av node, so whether the dodgy bit hits scar tissue or what I realy dont know and i dont think they do either.  Are you on beta blockers if not ask for some for when you have the episodes, as they do lessen them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.