2 ER visits in 6 months: constant Chest pain & back pain!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 36 and I have had chest and back pain for about a year and a half. Mainly on the left side of my chest and the pain ranges from sharp to a deep dull ache.

My upper back pain is also on the left side and hurts from the should blade to the spine, but I can usually can pinpoint the back pain.

I have been to the ER twice in the past 6 months thinking I was having a heart attack. Both times they done blood work and an ECG, all came back normal, except I have an elevated heart rate. I have been diagnosed with celiac disease, GERD and Hypertension by my GP. But nothing I do or take is helping with the pain! I do get some relief by lying down and taking a hot shower, but even then its still slightly there. I know I am having anxiety over it all... any ideas, advice or everything would be great! Thanks so much.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

do you have any breathing problems?

• Posted

I have similar symptoms to you, I had multiple pulmonary emboli last year and I am still getting chest and back pains but I don't think they are related. I am also getting very bad palpitations particularly when my hormones are changing twice a month.

I was thinking it may have been heart or nerve related, but today I have had the worst indigestion, really unbearable every time I eat anything so now I am thinking it could be maybe something to do with that. Are you taking any medication for your GERD? Have you had an endoscopy? I have heard that a hiatus hernia can cause bad chest pain and palpitations or possibly esophagitis.

• Posted

I dont get palpitations, but I do get a rapid heart. I had an endoscopy and an MRI in done 2017 when I diagnosed with celiacs disease, nothing showed up on the scans except the celiac disease.

• Posted

Hi palpitations are an increase in heart rate so if your heart beats fast then you do get them

• Posted

Hi I know exactly where you are coming from and it is horrendous and very scarey

If you had not had any tests I would have advised you to get ecg and bloods done but you have which is good and showsirs not cardiac related, a little bit of Dr Google can go a long way 🙄

Has anyone mentioned costeocondritis to you and what do you do for a living.

Have you any other medical conditions or smoke.

Are you over weight at all, lots of questions but all help to see where your coming from.

As for the elevated HR that would be quite normal in someone who is scared and having medical tests that's why they wouldn't have prescribed anything, are you on BP medication

• Posted

My doctor has not mentioned costeocondritis, I work from a computer all day long unfortunately. I do vape and I am overweight. All factor I know. I am trying to get the weight down and have lost 20lbs here recently, and I am not vaping anything with nicotine anymore.

• Posted

That's excellent news and I'm sure that with the removal of smoking you will start to feel much better

How long have you been quit

20 pounds is no mean feat, have you been on a weight loss program for long

I used my fitness pal when I started to. Diet when I quit smoking, I put on 3 stone but now have 8 pounds left to shift, seems to be the hardest amount but it's just moving now

So look up costeocondritis it can be caused by sitting on your compu all the time and can cause bad muscular pain in chest and back, do you have a partner who can massage certain areas called trigger points for you

• Posted

I have been cigarette free for about two years now, I'm not really on a weight loss plan I have celiac disease so that has affected my weight quite a bit. I will look up costeocondritis thank you!

• Posted

I'm wondering if theirs a link because I'm celiac as well and the pain can be horrendous I find the upper back pain hard to cope with and have to get up and do stretches

I hope it improves for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.