2 failed surgeries on left shoulder slap tear

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a slap tear in my left shoulder that was repaired using anchors, everyone (surgeon, therapist, other doctors) told me I'd be out of work for a minimum of four weeks. At my one week check up the surgeon sent me back to work on light duty. Needless to say I felt it rip again within the first hour and my shoulder turned black. The surgeon refused to even do an xray or mri until seven months later and discovered it was all tore up again, plus missing catilage in the ball and socket. Had another surgery where he did a sub pectoral bicep to nodes is and a microfracture of the glenoid. I was just in for another check up and mri and the bicep tenodesis is healed, but the micro fracture didn't heal. It's been a year now since the first surgery, worked all this time (minus about two months recovery from surgeries) with just my right arm, and felt ripping in my right shoulder. Had an mri done witch shows a low grade partial thickness tear of the rotator, plus another slap tear. My question is first off, why would the surgeon send me back to work one week after surgery when previously he said four week minimum? And secondly will the rotator tear and slap tear on the right heal themselves? I was told through therapy the pain and other symptoms could be releived, but wouldn't it still be torn?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you've been through such a lot

Rotator-cuff tears do not heal themselves. Physiotherapists often try exercises to see if you can gain enough strenght with the tear that your condition becomes livable. Sometimes, with minor partial-thickness tears, this is ok, but generally with larger tears, it doesn't and surgery is required.

The fact your shoulder went black and the surgeon ignored it sends shivers down my spine. Are you based in the UK or in the US? In the UK you can get a referral for an MRI from your family Doctor and you can choose to pay for it privately. Then your Dr sends it to the surgeon.

Hope that helps, NICK

• Posted

My gosh Jesse, this makes me want to cry for you. I don't know why your doctor had you go back to work after your initial surgery. You need time off to heal. I most certainly would gather whatever info you can, and go see another ortho for another opinion. Since your right shoulder has torn, you may not need surgery, but if you don't slow down, get therapy and take care of it, you could be in a lot of trouble. How is your pain? I'm 3 weeks and 2 days post op and I only had 1 anchor with 3 stitches to the supraspinatus tendon. Painful! My doc had me start therapy 2 weeks after my surgery. I don't understand why your doc sent you back to work. What do you do?
    • Posted

I'm a custodian at a high school. My first surgery was six anchors, therapy started the following day, returned to work one week after surgery. I felt like everything was completely rushed.
    • Posted

It most definitely was. Makes me angry. You need another opinion and a doc that is familiar with shoulder issues. My very best to you. Shoulders are a long and painful process from everything I've read, heard and am going through. Please do your best to take care of yourself.
    • Posted

Hi Jesse. Don't know if you are still following this post, but was wondering how you are doing? Fortunately, for me, I'm doing well. My insurance has run out of therapy, so I am on my own now, but have progressed to strengthening exercises which is great. I can lift my little grandsons even though that still hurts a bit. Very little pain sleeping at night, awesome! I am 6 months post op. Still some pain doing some stretching and of course the strengthening exercises can be quite uncomfortable, but only at the moment. I truly hope things have improved for you. Let us know. smile

• Posted

Did you only see one doctor for all of this?? This is a horrible story, I am sorry you had to go through it all.
  • Posted

I can only imagine what you have been through.  I can tell you, I had a Type 2 SLAP Repair done June 29, 2016.  I am still not back at work yet (almost 4 months later).  I work at a private school as a behavior technician for children on the autism spectrum.  My injury was sustained while at work.  I went to the worker's comp doctors and had the surgery almost a year and a half after the injury.  I worked throughout the entire year and a half leading up to surgery.  Post Op has been anything but a picnic.  I have switched doctors as my initial surgeon was not satisfactory.  I am now getting another MR-Arthogram this week, because my new doctor is concerned about how badly my biceps tendon was impacted by the initial tear.  Doc. number 1 only put in one anchor next to my biceps.  My tear was from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock, impacting where the biceps head connects to the labrum.  None of the medical professionals I have spoken to seem to think that the surgery was satisfactory- and no one will be surprised to find out if it failed.  I know the frustration I am going through dealing with the one shoulder.  I can only imagine if I had to deal with both being injured.  I cannot give you any medical advice, I can just sympathize with you.  I hope you are feeling better at this point!

• Posted

Hi Jesse. Just wondering how you are doing? I am doing quite well I believe. 6 months post op and have graduated to strengthening exercises a ways back. Still uncomfortable with the exercises, but pretty much pain free otherwise and can now lift my little grandsons. Can't really carry them around yet for any period of time, but that will come. Hope you are doing better. Let us know, ok?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.