2 heart attacks in five days.

Posted , 3 users are following.

The first attack was early Thursday morning 10 days ago. I woke with excruciating pain in my upper ams, back, chest, shoulders and jaw. ( This was worse than the pain of childbirth or the burst appendix I suffered some years back). I took very strong painkillers, and after a few hours, the pain subsided and I went to sleep.  I attributed the pain to my recent use of a walker (zimmer frame).  Early Monday morning, I awoke with the same terrible pain.  This time, my husband insisted I go to the hospital where I was told I was having a heart attack and given morphine for the pain.  The next day, an angioplasty determined that one cardiac artery was 90% blocked, 2 others 40%. A stent was inserted in the 90% blocked one.  I went home the next day.

I am 81 years old, slightly overweight (about 10 pounds), and my physical activity is to some degree hampered by an arthritic left knee and pain in the left foot (the aftermath of surgery to remove a bunion, fuse the bones  of my big toe, and amputate the toe next to it). What are my chances of  having a third heart attack (I had something several years ago that was later diagnosed as a"cardiac spasm", whatever that is.   Has anyone any advice or information that might help me?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Judith I hope you have found some reassurance since you posted? Just wanted to add that my father in law is 87 & last year had two arteries stented & he now has more energy than in the past five years! I also know on a personal level how arthritis can hamper your fitness, however, it might be worth asking your cardiologist if there's a cardiac rehab scheme near you? It consists of very gentle exercise which can be adjusted to suit an individuals needs.

All the best wishes for your recovery

• Posted

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement.  I'm actually going to an orientation meeting at the local cadiac rehab centre this evening.  So should be able to get in some proper exercise.

\

JUDITH

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.