2 months of dizziness, anxiety, strange feelings. Original dx of VN was discredited.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all,

I am an otherwise very healthy person who lifts weights 3-4 days per week and plays competitive basketball 2 days a week. On May 14th 2016 I was driving for a quick stop into work. All of a sudden my legs and hands became sweaty, I was confused as to where I was or where I was going and eventually my vision blacked out. I was able to safely pull over. When I came to (seconds, not minutes later) I went straight to the ER. They diagnosed me with a panic attack and dehydration.

2 days later it happened again (but I didn't black out). This time the ER doctor told me I may had Vestibular Neuritis. My primary care doctor later agreed. I took 2 weeks off work where I was unable to do ANYTHING but lay in bed or mope around the house. My life felt like a dream. I was sent for VRT and did it on and off for 1 month. I slowly became better, but there has always been a persistent brain fog or strange mental feeling that will not go away. On occasion I will have a blip where I feel I am going to pass out but then it goes away. I am also dealing with insomnia that is always followed by a bad day. It is present about 4 days a week and the other 3 days I feel *mostly* normal.

Last week July 14th 2016 (2 months after the initial problem started) I had a VNG with a neurotologist and saw a neurologist afterwards. The VNG came back perfectly normal and the neurologist now thinks VN is not the cause of my problems. I just had an MRI but results are pending. We will be looking @ cardiac, thyroid and autonomic nervous system workups to find out why I feel so awful. Luckly my providers are all pretty quick and I have amazing insurance.

My question is: Has anybody been diagnosed with VN or labs (which sounds awful, but at least it slowly gets better) and then had the diagnosis pulled out from under them? My anxiety (which has been a constant since day 1 of my problem) has gone through the roof because I might have something worse than originally thought! I've never had a single bout of depression/anxiety/health problems in my 30 years and I can't stop freaking out!

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Did you ever find out what this was? Ive been told I have VN and I experienced the same symptoms as you. Ive never had panic attacks before this and its ruining my life. My ent says i will recover 100%...But explaining symptoms to doctors is hard because they look at me like im just suffering panic attacks. I was driving home a month ago and got dizzy, arm was numb and i called 911. Yes i panicked because i thought i was having a stroke! Im left with off balance feelings, brain fog, anxiety and feel my ear is stuffy even though they said its clear now. Just curious what you found out. Tell me it gets better.
    • Posted

We never fully figured it out. My doctor still think I had something viral like VN that lead to an anxiety disorder. My neurologist disagrees because vestibular testing showed no imbalance and I was still having symptoms after it should have been fully healed. He said it is likely an unknown autonomic nervous system disorder (similar symptoms to normal panic/anxiety disorder but without mental triggers...body just does it randomly on its own). All my ER doctors (3 visits) assumed I was having panic attacks as well, which I very well may have been given how scary the symptoms felt, but it wasn't until I saw the neurologist someone told me your body can output anxiety symptoms even if you're not depressed or anxious about anything.

MRI, blood tests for kidney, liver, adrenals, thyroid all normal throughout the whole ordeal. The only thing that came back out of whack multiple times was lactate which they told me meant I am chronically dehydrated.

I can tell you that at least in my case it did get better, but at 9 months I still have some bad days here and there. Especially after starting the paxil 10mg I felt good enough that I cancelled further testing with my neurologist because I didn't feel symptoms for multiple weeks in a row. I will probably be following up with my neurologist at one year to see if we can figure out why I am still not 100% back to normal, but I am definitely a fully functional human being again. I do notice symptoms tend to follow nights when I stay up too late and don't sleep enough.

• Posted

Its good you finally got over the most of it. Its very frustrating explaining this to doctors. After ent gave me all kinds of ear tests, mri, 2 catscans, bloodwork...all says im healthy. Too bad I dont feel it. Ive been doing these VN exercises online though and theyre helping. Also on claritin which helps with inflammation in my ear a lot. Its these panic attacks coming with the virus that I cant stand. Im on 2nd day of Lexapro so Im hoping this all goes away. My doctor says give VN another month. And a positive is you never get it again. Just wish I felt normal again. Ill be positive though. Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.