2 months of vaginal discomfort! I just want to feel normal again!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I got an IUD (paragaurd) inserted 10/04/2017 and removed on 11/17/2017 because of vaginal problems! I've been on the Depo shot for a year now. Ever since I got the IUD I've had problems. I'm not saying it was the problem but I wanted it our just in case! Well I've had painful intercourse with my Fiance of 8 years but this 2 months have just recently started. From burning like fire upon penetration to feeling very hot (he made a comment on it feeling hot) to it feeling like hes wearing something on the head of his penis (which he isn't) and it hurting the upper part inside my vagina! I feel like I'm suffering from vaginal dryness from maybe the depo shot, but the doctor just blew that off. I've been to the doctor and have had pelvic test done. No STD only had BV (took two rounds of antibiotics). I've also had 4 UTI's this year. She is sending me to an OBGYN because she cant figure this out. I do have a cyst on my left ovary but I keep being told different things by different doctors. Like oh you need surgery its just going to keep growing, To oh its a simple cyst don't worry. They found the cyst because i complained of sex hurting sometimes. I'm not having any odor even when i had the Bv no odor or discharge. Lately I seem to have a small clear watery discharge. This is really bothering me and I just want to be normal. I can't even enjoy simple things anymore, and my Fiance keeps trying to make me feel better but I'm in a constant state of vaginal irritation! My appointment with the OBGYN is in January and i pray she can figure this out! If anyone has any info or a similar situation please talk to me. I've never had problems like this til this year when I got my first Depo shot. Everything has only gone down hill since.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry that no one has replied to you before.  You say your problems started with the first Depo shot and everything has gone downhill since - so I think you've answered your own question!

Many websites say it's 'tolerated well' but taking a good look at the lists of possible side affects makes me think that you are not tolerating it very well at all.  It sounds like sex for you is not a pleasure and yet this is why you are having the shots.  A state of 'constant vaginal irritation' is definitely not normal!

Your ovarian cyst is possibly a complication here as the ovaries are partially responsible for your hormone production and who can say if the cyst is affecting things or the Depo shot is affecting the cyst - your doctors don't seem to know!

My advice would be to not have any more shots and let your hormones settle down naturally.  This will mean using some other contraception but I strongly suggest you don't try anything else that interferes with your hormones. The IUD may well have started your problems off in the first place since you say you had it removed because of vaginal problems.  Your fiance will surely want what's best for you after all that you've been through and will agree to using a simple condom for a few months until things settle down, I'm sure. 

Your doctor who didn't listen to you saying about vaginal dryness sounds very uncaring.  Have you had an examination up there to check there is no scarring or damage from the IUD?  The vagina is very sensitive (of course!) and the tiniest bit of scar tissue or damage will feel unbearable to you.  Always use a gentle lubricant for intercourse, not one with lots of chemicals and flavourings  - coconut oil is very natural. 

You shouldn't have to put up with this pain so take control of your life and make the right decisions to heal yourself.  Good luck.

• Posted

I got the depo then started getting uti after uti. I'm doing everything the doctor says to prevent them but i keep getting them. I've had 5 so far since Feb. I probably wont take the shot anymore. Its not worth it. I've had pelvic exams done but that's about it. I've had 4 trans-vaginal ultrasounds. One doctor told me its going to keep growing and needs to be removed then the same doctor told me it could be gone? SO I really don't know, its been there every time I've had the ultrasounds done. I use a water base lube or one move lube. I've been feeling a bit better these past few days but not like my normal self. 

• Posted

Hi and thanks for the update,

I don't really have anything to add except that I see many girls writing in about frequent utis and vaginal problems but very few mention if their partners actually go to be checked out for infection.  I think most men assume the problem can't be from them as they're 'made differently'.  This is nonsense and both of you should be checked at the same time - if he is carrying some bug that isn't bothering him but is causing you problems then as soon as you get rid of it he'll just give it back to you! 

There is no shame or guilt here - it's just a fact of life, but an important one as a problem that may not even be known about by the man can lead to very serious complications in a woman. 

Please, please, next time you go to be examined, make sure he goes along with you (you're in a partnership after all!) and that he gets checked out at the same time.  If he's fine - no harm done, and if there is something it may be the end of all your trouble.

If he's embarrassed tell him it's no fun for you either!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.