2 months on sertraline. "Anxiety"

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi every one,

I'm am a first time poster on this site, I have read and used this site so much and read so many reviews and it has helped me to keep my head up.

So, two months ago I went to the doctors for anxiety and depression (caused by anxiety). I have physical effects more so than metal but both are still pressent example: over thinking, worrying, feeling of doom and fear. Physical symptoms are heart racing continually sweating even when cold, it's very hard to be in company and focus on the conversation with these feelings a conditions .

So the doctor proscribed me with 50 mg of sertaline to be taken once per day in the morning. The first two weeks I had some real depression and such a feeling of doom, no problems with sleeping or eating.

I continued to take it for one month, I had One day that I felt very good and happy with no worry and I couldn't stop chatting to my colleagues. I almost wanted to cry I was so happy. After about 4 hours it was back to my usual anxiety filled self.

I upped the dosage and have been on 100mg for 4 weeks( again I had one day that the physical feelings of anxiety subsided. The next day was back to anxiety again. Making a total of two moths on sertraline. Today I went to see my GP (not the same helpful one as before). She told me I had to come off sertraline and start on a low dosage of fluoxetine 20mg every day.

Is it not to soon for me to change or should I not go up to 150mg? I know people have taken sertraline for three months to feel benefits I just don't want to give up on sertraline and start taking a fresh drug with new side effects. Like I've said before some people have to wait 3 months. My GP just said you will take this new drug and if it didn't work we will try you on something completely different. I'm not sure if she is being patient enough with me. If I don't listen to my doctor on the other hand I may never feel normal.

Thanks so much to any replays in advance,

Chris

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi chris i have to been on sertraline for 8 weeks at 100mg over the last few days i have felt worse i spoke to my doc yesterday and he said it can take anything up to 12 weeks, he also said he would not upped the dose yet and told me to take propranolol 10 mg which i was taking when i first startred sertraline, i know how you feel just want to get better and im sure in time we will 
    • Posted

Hi Tracy thanks for that.

I'm at such a loss now as I've stopped sertraline and will be on Prozac from now on in. I guess it's to late to go back to the doctors at this stage I will however go to them and ask if I could get some propranolol. Maybe that will help me out too.

Thanks

• Posted

hi chris have you started taking prozac yet, i wish you all the best and please try propranolo as it really does help, i try and only take when i really need it, today ive only had one as my heart pulps where really bad please let me know how things are going for you smile
    • Posted

Hi Tracy

Yes I started taking mine today 20 mg, it hasn't really made me feel any different than yesterday. Compared to day one on sertraline. Do you find propranolol helps with mental or physical symptoms of anxiety? Or both?

Thanks smile

• Posted

Hi chris propranolol only helped me with the physical side of things it really did calm me down when my anxitey gets really bad , how long did you stay off sertraline before starting your new ssr smile
    • Posted

Hi Tracy.

That could be good if I got rid of the physical symtoms. I do remember it only work on occasion with me. I felt I was taking more and more to try and stop it. Maybe it will be better along side SSR

I didn't wait I took sertraline on the morning went to GP and she told me to text Prozac the very next. Havnt felt anything major. Tbh I would know if I feel differnt because I always feel not great

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I know this post was a while ago but I'm after some advice. I also work offshore UK and have recently been prescribe sertraline, was it ok to use offshore. I'm a vendor so travel to many different platforms with different operators but am struggling to find info for banned prescription medication. I know benzos are generally banned but not sure about See us? Any help would be much appreciated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.