2 months post surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had surgery to repair a fractured ankle 2.5 months ago. I have pins and rods (broken in 3 places). My surgeon tells me I should be walking without any aid (ie walker, crutches, etc) but I still don't have complete mobility. The swelling and pain is more in my toes and ball of my foot. Is this normal? I still don't have total feeling in my foot yet and can not bend my toes completely. How can I be expected to walk??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It is a presumptuous idea to walk without any aid 24/7. Trust your gut on it. I used crutches, as needed for up to 3 and a half months. I am 7 months out from surgery now and walking fine. Massage your toes. Ice and elevate at home at night. I don't ice anymore. But I do get my feet up on the recliner part of sofa, when I can. My hardware includes eleven pins and a plate. My surgery was a triple ankle arthrodesis and a metatarsal fusion with a plate and a ligament repair.

• Posted

Is it normal to have the constant tingling like my foot is asleep? It's driving me crazy!!

• Posted

I am 3 months from DOI and I am still not walking. I can't put any weight on my foot at all. My nerve damage is very bad from the knee down and I have developed CRPS which causes constant burning and pain. What my PT told me is that the Ortho surgeons are not on the same page so to speak. When I told my PT that my surgeon says I should be walking, and my PT and I are still working on baby steps.. he assured me that it takes time and not to worry too much, just to make sure you strengthen it everyday with exercises and movement. I'm still using my knee scooter to get around even though I'm sick of needing it. We'll get there soon...

• Posted

This is not meant to be posted.

• Posted

I am 3 months from DOI. My doc put me in a walking boot 6 weeks ago, but I am still NWB. He wants me to be able to stand on my own by January 13th, 3 month mark, and I just don't see that happening. I don't even have full range of motion to put my foot completely on the ground. I feel like I am trying to push myself to stay on that timeline but I don't want to overdo it. I have osteoporosis which he feels contributed to the break being so severe. But I don't know what to do. I don't want him to think I am not trying. When I put just a little weight it felt like someone shoved a hot poker up my leg. So I am just listening to my body. Eberyone heals differently. Be patient (easier said than done); I have not stood on my own since October 12th. But I yry to mot think of

• Posted

Thank you! I haven't started PT yet. Not real happy with my surgeon. Take care!

• Posted

Hang in there. My Dr is trying to make me feel week and lazy! Not real happy with him. I thought my progress was good ☹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.