2 months post surgery update

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys 

You might have noticed my post a couple of months ago and I thought I would give you guys an update on how everything went.

I'm now 2 months post surgery and I can honestly say I feel as I've I'm back to normal. I was apprensive about food travelling slow post surgery but this eventually subsided and I just need to take my time and chew properly when eating. I can now eat out in public, the days of having to go to the toliet at lunch in case I vomit have passed. I also have experienced no reflux as well, the operation was truly a success. 

Regarding the surgery I was able to return to work just less than 2 weeks and this week I've finally returned to my gym and returned to my original fitness plan. 

I never expected the surgery to be this good, especially after the days following surgery where I thought the surgery had actually failed. 

I would honestly advise anyone to get surgery, it has helped me get my life back on track. It even helped me to get my  dream job, which required me to pass an extensive medical to see if I was fit. 

I know this is sounds to good to be true but i guess i was really lucky to how the surgery went. 

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask.

Matt 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I’m really so happy to hear you’re one of the success stories. I can’t imagine how amazing you feel. I have a couple questions for you. After the surgery, what made you feel like it failed?  How bad was your achalasia?  I’ll be getting the surgery November ninth and am curious to how painful you feel afterwards and how long you stayed in the hospital. 
    • Posted

Hi, where are you having your op done?

I've having a POEM on 15 November at UCLH...

• Posted

Hello

I initially feared the surgery wasn't successful as I found food was still sticking and I was suffering from slot of pain in my chest. I brothis up to my doc who informed me this is likely due to swelling and I should see improvements, which I did. 

My achalasia was pretty bad, I was kinda in denial to how bad it was but looking back it made me loose loads of weight and made me look very unhealthy. I constantly vomited when eating and always had to eat by myself, not even in front of close family members. 

Post op pain wasn't actually as bad as I thought it would be. I'm a young, fit male so my recovery was pretty quick, I actually only stayed in the hospital for 1 day and I didn't take any medication when I left . The worst pain was in fact from the air they pumped into me to preform surgery, rather than the actual incisions they made. 

• Posted

I appreciate you filling me in like you have. I just have one more question. I’m 26F from Wisconsin. I’ll be getting the Heller Myotomy with the fundoplication. May I ask what surgery you got? Either the POEM of Shelly Myotomy? I’m seriously so happy for you that you can eat like a normal human being. I can’t even imagine how excited you are. 
  • Posted

That’s really good to hear. Was it POEM or HM? How did you feel that it might have failed and when and how did you start feeling that it worked? What are the things that you were careful about after the Surgery ? Any special care that you took foodwise? A lot of question but it’ll be really helpful if I could hear back from you. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi Matt, Thanks for posting your update.  It is an inspiration to me.  I'm scheduled for the HM w/wrap on 11/28 and can't wait to get my life back on track. It was great to read that there is hope.

• Posted

Hi Matt 

I've been suffering for over 20 years with this condition because I ruled out surgery.  I think I've had enough of dealing with this condition and I'm going back to the doctor to find out my options.  Was your recovery from the surgery painful and was there a lot of acid reflux after surgery?  

• Posted

Hello jen

Sorry for the late reply, it’s been a while since I visited this forum. As with all surgery their was some minor pain however it was not too bad and I didn’t complain, within a couple of days I had returned to my normal self and although some people don’t recommend it, I was fine enough to return to work 6 days after my HM. Honestly I would encourage you to get the surgery, it is a daunting thing but has turned my life around, this time last year I had lost so much weight and I thought this condition would never go away, fast forward now, I can eat out in public, eat any food I want  if I take my time and chew properly and most importantly have gained back all that weight. 

All the best, stay strong fighting with this condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.