2 Nurses overrule 2 Doctors

Posted , 7 users are following.

Wonder if someone can help.

I had a blood test 2 weeks ago that threw up a B12 deficiency. The level showed well below the normal levels, and was 107

The first Doctor rang me about it and told me i had to start a course of 6 injections, plus take folic acid.

Rang my own Doctor, and she confirmed i would need the 6, loading dose. I asked could it be the Lanzaprazole I was taking, she said no.

I went for first injection last Friday, and 2 nurses were present, one of them lead nurse, and they asked me some symptoms, the proceeded to give me first injection, telling me to make appts every two days until i had the 6.

2nd injection, same nurse, no lead nurse, and everything fine.

3rd injection today, different nurse, no lead nurse. This nurse tells me i dont need loading dose, as it had only shown low level once (that makes difference?)

i queried it as 2 docs and 2 nurses had said i need loading dose.

Nurse calls in same lead nurse that was there on first injection, and she tells me, no loading dose, come back in 3 months, but we will give you todays injection.  Its protocol, to do this, is what she says.

i queried the fact that she had not said anything at first injection, and that not one but two doctors had said i need loading dose.

Its protocol is all she said, so i wont get any more injections for 3 months.

i know that I have had lots of symptoms, although didnt know why at the time.

Now I am  totally confused, and worried, and dont know how 2 nurses can over ride what 2 docotors have said.

Please help, if anyone can give me some insight

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You should be getting loading injections and a nurse can not over rule what a doctor said, i would calle the gp and report the nurse
  • Posted

Hi

sorry to hear you have been treated this way.

i certainly would not have thought that a nurse could override two doctors.

please get in touch with your own doc and let him know what has happened as you need to continue with your loading doses.

i hope you get this sorted as "protocol" is not the answer and your health and wellbeing is important.

• Posted

Just to echo the others, you should stick with the protocol as stated by your physician and stay firm about the remaining doses - not wait months.

Did they test you after your initial test, while you were getting treatments?  I understand that high B12 can be a problem, but I can't imagine that part-way through your B12 numbers went up above normal! 

I was in a similar situation, on a routine visit where I presented these crazy symptoms I had (thought maybe it was MS), my Dr. diagnosed me with PA. (I had just had blood work done) As I was going for treatments, I was sent for another test since my IF wasn't tested initially. The nurse told me it wasn't PA but a B12 deficiency and after the original course I wouldn't need more B12. My Dr. thought I'd be in less frequently to maintain levels, but the nurse said no need for more jabs. Fast foward months ahead on my liquid supplements and I need to go back for more testing b/c my symptoms are recurring. In my case, I had what the Dr. first recommended but not any medical maintenance and I think I'm going to need more.

In your case, you clearly need more! You're not done with the first part yet...Good Luck!

• Posted

These books are very informative on b12 deficiency, causes and treatment

Could it be b12. An epidemic of misdiagnosed the ground classic that has saved lives by Sally M Pacholok, RN, BSNand Jeffrey J Stuart, D.O.

What's wrong with my child. From neurological and developmental Disabilities to autism.... How to protect your child from b12 deficiency by the same authors

These books have proven in my sruggle of diagnosis and miss diagnoses. That b12 number is low. They can help you find a a knowledgeable physician plus help understand the delemia of you can't treat what you don't know about. Hope all goes well

• Posted

You definitely need a full course of loading injections with a level as low as yours. I cannot understand why a nurse would not comply with the recommendation of two doctors?

Make contact with your doctor as soon as possible, or the practice manager, and explain your concerns.

Also have a look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society website for more information, including a full symptom checklist. Martyn Hooper the founder of the Society has written three very informative books on the subject.

Good luck, and hope you will be treated so that you begin to recover and feel well again. Marion 

• Posted

Thank you everybody for such helpful replies.  I have asked my own Doctor to phone me back, as I am not at all happy, and really really worried about this.

I will let you know smile

• Posted

Thanks for the reply - still thinking of you and hope your doc gets you the rest of the treatment soon!
  • Posted

I suggest you ask to speak directly to the doctor who advised you.  107 is very low - you need to get your levels up over 500 and keep them there.  You should have the loading dose.  Also check your iron levels.

By the way Lansoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor medicine that decreases the the absorption of vitamin B12 from the gut into the bloodstream.

Hope this helps.

Debby

• Posted

...also  vitamin B-12 is a little different to some vits. Your system only absorbs a small amount at a time and gets rid of what it doesn't need, which means it's generally safe, even if you take too much.  Your body will just pee it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.