Skip to content
Ad

Pernicious Anaemia

Also known as Anaemia - Pernicious, B12 Deficiency, Vitamin B12 Deficiency

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Stress and B12

I think I read somewhere that periods of high stress can reduce our B12 levels, is that right? I am on B12 shots every 3 weeks (have been doing this for about 6-9 months). I have had a very stressful couple of months and I just went through my lab results and noticed that the most recent test (a few...

Last reply
  • Do I have pernicious anemia

Hi looking for advice had stomach problems for the last 8 years hated going back and forth to doctors so been managing it myself trapped gas in chest heartburn indigestion stomach cramps trapped wind etc anyway went for my usual polycystic kidney blood check when they noticed I had vitamin b12 deficiency...

Last reply
  • Vitb12 deficiency ?

Hi, new to this forum. I've recently been diagnosed with a vitb12 deficiency, my level was 141 ng/l and the gp said it was slightly low?? I'm a final year student nurse and requested results and seems my b12 has been low since 2014. I was never aware of this. I have crohns disease, also have...

Last reply
  • I have B12 deficiency/Pernicious Anaemia now Dementia type symptoms

I have suffered B12/Pernicious Anaemia for just over 10 years. For 9 months I had awfull mouth ulcers, felt so weak and tired but treated with every throat/mouth infection remedy made. Asking for a second opinion I was from there sent to Maxiofacial at the local hospital. The doctor took a quick look...

Last reply
  • Is this Vitamin B12 Deficiency?

It all started 9 months ago when suddenly I started having discomfort in my arms and chest and a tightness in my throat thats persisted til now. (Two months before that I found out I had acid reflux & a throat infection for the 1st time, got antacids medicines etc. and it went away in a few wks)...

Last reply
  • large red blood cells?

My son is 19, he's 6 feet tall and was obese. He's lost 8 and half stone over last two year and looks great! He has occasionally felt dizzy when standing up quick and fainted just once about one year ago. Recently he was at doctors for something else and doctor asked for bloods. Next day they...

Last reply
  • Bad hair

My hair has thinned to the point of almost baldness over the last few years!!!.... I have B12 injections every 12 weeks, will the situation improve at all or is the damage permanent?

Last reply
  • B12 overdose symptoms

Hi, I started taking 5,000mcg thinking extra b12 would be harmless about 3 weeks ago everyother day. Apparently not, my arms and legs went numb and tingly first I went to the doc. Never said anything about b12 gave me methylprednisolone and meloxicam. I had continued taking the b12 I assumed it was a...

Last reply
  • Tiredness after my B12 injection

I've had B12 deficiency for the last 4 years but I've recently found that my injections do not seem to be making a difference, this has only come to my attention the last 12 months. My life style hasn't changed and I still eat well but I have noticed a loss of pigment in my skin colour and...

Last reply
  • B12 Deficiency

I went to the doctors for years complaining about being exhausted all the time. Despite many blood tests which they say didn't show anything my doctors blamed it on my lifestyle - busy mum, 3 children, etc etc At age 39 I collapsed and was admitted to hospital with terrible abdominal pains and hourly...

Last reply
  • struggling to carry on!

I have not had any diagnosis but was told my b12 level was "on the cusp". I get anaemic and take iron tablets then stop when my levels are normal. I have been very low vit d for about 8 years. I am struggling so much right now and have developed an abnormal gait, my legs buckle and I kind of...

Last reply
  • Looking for an answer !

Sorry, this is a long moan! Two years ago I had three "episodes" and my gp did lots of tests and referred me to consultants that ruled out diabetes and thyroid problems and didn't come up with anything thru' blood tests/heart checks. So I decided that I'd have to get on with it...

Last reply
  • Vitamin B12 & Folate Deficiancy

I have been disgnosed with Vit B12 and Folate issues. I have been given Vit B12 and Folic Acid tablets. My GP also mentioned me having a camera down the throat to see whats happening in my stomach. I have for years suffered with indigestion/heart burn and altho mostly have constipation some months ago...

Last reply
  • "Episodes"

Do these seem like pernicious anemia-related episodes? Every once in a while (1-2 times a month) I have these days where I wake up feeling nauseous, and it stays most of the day, but I NEED to eat because I feel woozy, dizzy, lightheaded, and just generally uncomfortable (and cranky). It's not PMS....

Last reply
  • Is it safe to take systemic enzymes?

Hi, had PA for decades and b12 injections etc, but recently developing carpal tunnel syndrome (which can be exacerbated by low b12). I'd like to add systemic enzymes to my supps as they can assist with CTS. Anyone know whether it's safe to take enzymes on empty stomach given possible low mucus...

Last reply
  • Does this mean I have pernicious anaemia?

Hi again, I just wanted to clarify something. So I finally got a printout of all my results and they are as follows 170- july 2012 148- July 2013 131- June 2015 (low) folate 30.3 125- June 2015 (retest, PA negative) folate 36.2 Started injections 624- September 2015 (after injections) 276- January...

Last reply
  • Is my B12 level low/deficient??

Not been well for about 2 years. 41 years old. Previously a pretty active person walking lots and attending gym classes. Symptoms are; - Extreme fatigue - weakness (carrying bags now a struggle) - breathlessness - constipation - Sensitivity to light and blurred vision (only appeared recently) - depression/intolerance...

Last reply
  • Very confused with B12 results

hi, I hoping someone might be able to help me/explain to me if I have vitamin b12 deficiency/low readings. I do not understand from reading anything what is what, had blood test done privately vitamin b12 164 and active 121. The range they use for b12 says normal but seems low considering goes up to...

Last reply
  • Is 162 low?

Is 162 low? I've been told it's in the normal range so docs won't do anything. But is this still low?

Last reply
  • How long for symptoms to return?

I suffered from b12 deficiency a couple years ago and was given injections 5 or 6 injections and was sent on my way as my levels were now "high enough". Fast forward 2 years and I've started feeling horribly tired again. I slept 9 hours last night and I don't feel like I moved or woke...

Last reply
  • Is this normal??

I have been feeling every symptom related to b12 deficiency. Especially the tingling. I got tested today for b12 and MMA. MMA isn't up yet, but my results for b12 are 423. Is this low? I feel like garbage mentally and physically. I'm so tired, emotional, depressed, TINGLY.

Last reply
  • Inflammation burning muscles B12?

Hello I have been having extreme burning i upper arm muscles with simple tasks. They will even burn from doing dishes or rubbing lotion on them. I am also getting some inflammation randomly in different body parts and very sore throat muscles if I talk alot. My b12 came back 170. Dr said this is normal...

Last reply
  • Vitamin b12 and vitamin D deficiency

Hello, I am Suman from India. I am 28 years old. Since last one year I was suffering from tailbone pain and it after few months my pain radiate in legs and my upper back. And now I can't sit more then 1 hour a day...Because I feel that my back is going week and mow pain starts in neck and half head...

Last reply
  • Could it be the pill?

I have had a blood test that shows my B12 levels are very low, my doctor initially suspected Celiac disease however a test for this came back negative. I am currently awaiting the results of a test to see if my intrinsic factor levels are normal as my doctor now thinks 'some other autoimmune disease'...

Last reply
  • B12 injections

Hi, Just want to find out some information, I've been feeling very tired and have been getting. Ulcers and sore tongue.. my doctor did blood tests and came back that my b12 was 127 my iron was 17 and my platelet count was 121? Anyone know anything if b12 causes all thi Any help would be great...

Last reply
  • Hi new to this yesterday

I have to have 6 injections over the 2 weeks . I'm on 2000mg of metformin a day . What should my B12 levels be if normal . Thankyou .

Last reply
  • B12 low, depression

Hi I've had low b12 in the past had injections then my levels were high, so didn't need anymore injections, have been feeling very low recently and having 3 young children by myself am finding it difficult, had bloods done last week, and doc rang to say I've to come bk in one month for testing...

Last reply
  • Cyanocobalamin and Thiamine taking together?

Is it safe to take cyanocobalamin and thiamine together? Recently I got a blood test through my doctor and the results showed that I am low in vitamin B12. The doctor said I don't have a vitamin B12 deficiency but it is still low enough for tablets. So my doctor put me on a 3 months supply of...

Last reply
  • High mcv/mch

Hi recently had bloods done. Only thing abnormal is evevated mcv and mch which doctors were doing nothing about. My b12 serum was ok as well as folate in fact doctor commented that b12 was at the higher end of normal. Do this leaves the mcv mch unexplained. A b12/ folate def would explain my symptoms...

Last reply
  • Recent Half Diagnosis?!

Hi all, I'm new here! Around two weeks ago I woke up feeling absolutely dreadful. Fatigue, dizziness, almost like the flu without the cold. I at first put it down to catching up on sleep from my second year at uni, but after a week of no improvement I booked a doctors appointment. I explained to...

Last reply
  • Numbness in legs

Hi, I was diagnosed with PA on October 2016 and have had my initial round of injections and now get one injection every 2 months. However for the last 3 months I've noticed that no matter which way I sit and no matter what type of chair I'm using, my legs go numb. Is this normal? It's not...

Last reply
  • Vitamin b12 injections scared to have them

Really scared I have my first injection in half n hour I suffer from bad anxiety and agoraphobia and don't even take paracetamol or antibiotics because just incase they make me feel strange of different I am so scared of these injections because I don't want to feel a way I don't like and...

Last reply
  • heart palpitations.

Im 29. I went to the doctor on may 11th. My heart would feel like it was going to come out of my chest. I could just be sitting on the couch to bending over to tie my shoe and I would be out of breath and heart pounding. I was told my b12 was 158. I just had my 2nd weekly injection after the 4th I...

Last reply
  • Low B12 = Pernicious Anemia?

Hello all, Last winter (2015-16) I was sick, sick, sick. Anytime someone would sneeze near me I would catch pneumonia, bronchitis, or at least sinusitis. In the spring my doctor ran a whole bunch of blood tests and one of the things that came from that was that I had low B12. She didn't say it was...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.