Low B12 and Folic Acid Levels

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello,

Just wanted to post this, so I can get some external advice / input from someone.

Around 5 years ago, I had a really bad panic attack and since then have always had a lingering brain fog and disconnect from reality + an array of physical symptoms.

Almost instantly, I went to the doctors and was put on Citalopram / Sertraline for around 3.5 years, basically getting thrown the mental health card. On my own accord, I stopped taking this around 10 months ago as I wasn't improving, I was just a psychological mess and the drugs were not doing anything positive for me besides making me gain weight and probably making me more miserable.

Over the past year, I have done some soul searching and have tried to combat what I have been told is 'Anxiety' - I am not ruling out that I have this, I very may well have / think I do. However, as the title of this post suggests I have been advised that I have a B12 and Folate deficiency. I went to doctors on my own accord, as I was sure feeling how bad I do surely cannot be all in my brain. I can't remember exactly what my B12 and folate levels were. I THINK they was 130 and 1.8 respectively.

Now I am wondering - could all of these symptoms I have had for years just be due to a B12 deficiency?! 5 years seems a long time to have a deficiency and if so that is really worrying.

My symptoms -

Brain Fog

Weak Legs / Arms

Numbness in right side of face

Difficulty concentrating

Heart palpitations

Visual disturbances

Always on edge

I have been taking daily B12 tablets + folic acid for 2 weeks now and initially seemed to see a difference, my brain fog cleared for a week or so and I only had Heart Palpitations really. However, the past few days all my symptoms have come back.

Am I taking the correct amount of B12 (1000mg daily tablets)? Should I not be taking injections? How long would you say to wait for my symptoms to improve & is the sudden returning of my symptoms something to worry about?

Really appreciate any help I can get on this.

Jack.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.