2 Really odd questions (or maybe not)?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with AF almost 3 years ago, heart rate wen up to 190 bpm and was hospitalised for 4 days until it was brought under control with good old Bisoprolol, my question is this have any ladies found that if you wear a bra that is too tight that it can contribute to heart 'fluttering'? or am I going round the bend?

Also to anyone who has got AF do you find it gets worse if you lie on your left side at night? mine began when I was on my left side and I haven't lay on that side since for fear of it starting again does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi it's not an odd question. Since I had. Quadruple heart bypass I have had problems with bras . Nothing feels comfortable. But also since taking statins it's been worse if you look at the side effects it does say it can increase your bust and men can grow man boobs. I have  now gone up 2 sizes snd it's not nice . Not sure if the answer . ??!?!

• Posted

Hi, thanks, at least it's not just me, I don't/won't take statins there are so many conflicting stories I will stay as I am for now and if one of the side effects is larger boobs then I really don't want them LOL.

• Posted

Hi phoebewhite,i found the following ......

""Although such a feeling is usually completely normal, it may be unpleasant. For instance, people often describe hard beats, fast beats, irregular beats, skipped beats, fluttering, “flip-flopping” or a pounding sensation in the chest or neck.

Palpitations are defined as an unpleasant awareness of heart muscle contractions in the chest. Although palpitations are very common and usually completely harmless, they may occasionally be a manifestation of underlying heart disease.

Palpitations are a very common reason people visit their doctor. This is not surprising as symptoms associated with the beating of the heart are likely to get our attention and they often make us anxious.

However, it is important to keep in mind that palpitations are more often caused by the anxiety itself than an underlying heart disease.

The key thing is to understand that palpitations are a sensory symptom, an experience or a feeling. As such they may be difficult to grade or measure. The description often varies a lot between individuals.

While some people seem to be aware of their heartbeat at all times, others have almost never felt their heart beating. Obviously, the latter group is less likely to complain of palpitations.""

Also found this ....

Q.  Why does laying on your left side cause you to have more palpitations and pounding heart?

A. Palpitations , pounding heartbeat and increased cardiac awareness is quite common when you lie down and, in particular, on your left side.  This is due to a positional shift in blood flow between different parts of your body and, in particular, the heart, which makes it start doing this.  It is not anything to be concerned about, but it is noticeable in some patients and simply changing positions usually stops it.""

I would recommend get an up to date evaluation by talking to your GP about your concerns or Cardiologist

who could provide Holter Monitor  recording and ECG .

Good Luck and Good Health.

• Posted

Thanks very much for replying, I'm not too concerned about it, it's just annoying really and the psycological effect, I can't see myself ever lying on my left side again, while I was in hospital and hooked up to machines I tested it and sure enough each time I went on to my left side my hearbeat increased considerably, I should have asked then but it didn't enter my head to, typical. 

• Posted

Your very welcome phoebewhite i understand what you mean on psycological,You can always contact

the Cardiologist's Secretary , just phone the Hospital for email details so you can ask this question and ask the Cardiologist's Secretary in an email to forwarded  on to the Cardiologist that  you saw.They are usally very good at replying to your concerns even a few yrs on and will help you Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.