2 Steps forward... 3 steps back?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all.

Firstly i hope everyone is doing okay. I've not commented on here in ages, though i regularly read posts to see how everyone is doing. Okay so i've been on Flu since April now. It took a long time before i saw any benificial changes but soon i was sleeping better and then eating again. However my mood never really improved, and i still feel anxious around people and still can't concentrate. I feel in the last few weeks that everything has gone backwards. I've never really that i'm on the road to recovery and i'm thinking maybe i should? In the last 2/3 weeks my sleep has gotten awful again, and now instead of not eating i can't stop binge eating. I don't want to blame it all on depression, but i don't know what is wrong with me, i'm back to being a emotional mess and i've become more and more isolated again.

Has anyone else been in this situation... because i really thought that flu was working for me just everything has gone backwards and i can't face being as low as i was to begin with. I don't think i can deal with it anymore.

Thanks for reading. (Sorry it's a sad post)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you thought about speaking to your doctor? Explaining this to them. Flu simply might not be the right medication for you. Try to stay positive though and keep taking flu until you've got some advice, keep us updated.

Good luck :D

• Posted

Hi Star Struck,

I'm quite like you that I often read and rarely post. Having just gone through a long time of being off work and generally considering myself to be a mess and beyond hope. I too started taking flu at a similar time to you, to begin with i wondered why I bothered as it didn't seem to do alot apart from making me feel physically horrible as well! I'm still with it though and after talking to more people around me I haave found out this is not as unusal as you feel it is. I felt I was the only one ever to feel this bad but this is really not the case, just look at the number of people talking on here.

What else have you tried apart from flu, I was lucky that my work paid for a few councilling sessions (I'm continuing them as I found these have really helped me) I also joined a gym and while its true I won't go there when I know its busy I found this helped too, doing something were the only thing you have to worry about is remembering to breath is very liberating I find.

I still have days when the moods return, I become impossible to be around and I will not talk to anyone but (and this is a BIG but) they are not as frequent as they were and I know because I now keep a diary.

I'm sorry you feel this way but it will pass, as for the not sleeping mine still hasn't return to anything what you could call 'normal' I look like a panda alot of the time! And the only good thing about having a bad memory is a least I don't remember if people keep telling me this :lol:

You said you didn't know if you could deal with it anymore but you took a step by posting on here, thats not easy when things feel bad.

Let me know how it is now?

Take care,

Paul.

• Posted

Hi Paul.

Thankyou for your comment. I apologise for the time i've taken to reply. I know this is a long process just it takes so much time and energy and i get so frustrated y'know? I can only try flu at the moment because of my age, i'm 16 so it's the only one i'm allowed to try to begin with. I do go for CBT sessions also. Just i haven't been able to get an appointment since the 4th of June so it's been a long time without any advice/help. My next appointment is the 16th of Septemeber so i think i'm just going to have to be honest and say that i'm not longer feeling the benefits. I'd like to say that i'm having more good days than bad but at the moment it's untrue.

I'm guessing though it just takes some time to find something that works for me.

Anyways keep posting, hope your doing okay.

• Posted

Hi star_struck,

It takes you a while to respond?! Not as long as it does for me to :D . I have just had a setback (as I have started calling them) and I know only too well what you mean by frustrating, it sometimes seems exactly as you first posted '2 forward 3 back'.

It does take time and no matter how many times people tell you this (and they all will) it doesn't make it any less frustrating does it?

You are right about the time it takes from referral to actually recieving any help, I guess there is not as much money for this as there are for other conditions and fortunately for GPs most of us feel so low and worthless we are not likely to complain anyway.

This is really going to sound daft but its true for me, it really is one day at a time and yes of course you have to be honest because despite how you may feel you deserve to be listened to.

Keep with it and let me know how it goes, take care, one day at a time, stop beating yourself up for how you feel and this will pass.

Paul.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.