2 surgeries the first went wrong.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my first orif ankle surgery 3 weeks ago at a hospital miles away from home as I got air lifted there. I then went to my local a and e because I'd lost all sensation in my toes (6 days after surgery). The consultant at my local hospital was disgusted at the job the original hospital had done. I had just managed to get out of the house that day on my crutches.

Low and behold the next day I was in having surgery again, the surgery went better but having 2 5+ hours surgery has really taken it's toll on my foot and toes. I had to spend a week in hospital on antibiotics and with my leg elevated (complete bed rest).

I have no feeling what so ever in my toes and they feel like bits of wood attached to my body. And if my foot isn't constantly elevated my foot swells like a balloon.

I feel like I'd got so far and then went all the way back if not further back than my original recovery. The only saving grace for me was the consultant spotted the mistake after a week and not after 4 weeks.

It's just hard to keep your mood lightened when even mundane tasks are no longer possible and it's very frustrating to say the least.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Man, that's awful. I hope this last surgery got it right and you're on the road to a good recovery. I complain that I was in hospital for 4 days before they figured out I had a collapsed lung. But, I have no complaints about my leg and ankle surgeries.

I hear the swelling is normal. I'm two months in and mine still starts to swell as soon as I move my leg to a lower position. It runs bright red to dark purple. And, one day last week the swelling went all the way up to my knee. I have a little numbness as well. Mine is in the shape of a cross that runs from a couple of inches up the front of my leg to a couple of inches down across the top of my foot and then side to side from the medial malleolus to the lateral malleolus. The oddest thing is I have feeling in my toes but my big toe feels like I'm wearing a toe ring. It's the weirdest sensation that runs the circumference of my big toe close to where the toe joins the foot. The rest of that toe and the others is fine.

Still, there are very few testimonies that contradict the "time heals all" mantra. So, hang tough. It will get better - even if you got a less than perfect start. In the meantime, this forum seems like a pretty good place to talk to others who understand what you're going through.

All the best. Cheers.

• Posted

Thank you Darryl time does heal everything, it's just frustrating for me. I can't do anything on my crutches lol. Ordered a pizza the other day. Had to ask my next door neighbour to carry it in for me.

I am getting better it's just the mood swings I am experiencing which are odd for me.

• Posted

Please take a look at the iwalk 2.0 as it could make all the difference to your independence. I've got one and have been practicing ahead of my ankle revision. Go to amazon and see all the feed back.

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Yes the iwalk My brother in law swears by it it got him through 4 ankle surgeries. I have bad knees and tried his a few days and it really hurt my knee, but if your knees are good they are great for hands free walking!
    • Posted

It is not for everyone but at 75 I’m very happy with it especially around the house being able to work with both hands and be mobile is fantastic.

I did need to put additional padding where you put your knee and leg and under a strap. It is also essential to spend some time getting the adjustments really right for you.

Good luck

Richard

• Posted

I'm 4 months out and my leg still turns purple when down, my foot is swollen by the end of the day, but goes down overnight and my toes are just finally feeling like they are not in a vice grip . The big toe was the slowest to come back to life and still a bit numb. All this is normal healing. The longer nwb the longer the recovery it seems. I was 13 nwb so hang in there it all gets better,each week you feel less pain and can do more.

A tough start for you though- I feel for you!

Take Care

Margie

• Posted

How have you found it once you have started to weight bear?

I am back on Wednesday to get my cast changed and my staples out which I'm not looking forward too.

• Posted

Wb gives you more freedom, your leg can go down and help you so it's easier to get around. Those scooters help to be hands free, my plan covered a wheel chair so I got that for getting out I. The world. Staples only pinch a bit. Are you getting a walking boot? I can sleep and shower without the boot now so even that is nice!

Good luck with the visit!

Get a list of questions ready to ask that always helps.

• Posted

Oh I'll still be non weight bearing for another 6 weeks after I get the staples out.

Going to ask if there is anything I can be doing with my leg to stop so much muscle loss (I used to go to the gym quite a lot so worried I'll lose all my strength/ muscle mass not that it's overly important just don't want to have 2 completely different legs)

• Posted

You should find that using an iwalk 2.0 will help keep your muscles active.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Oh yes my leg was super skinny due to muscle wasting but now using exercise bike and wb it is very slowly coming back. Some surgeons let you move your leg , toes etc mine was adamant about no movement as bone grafts can be finicky and take longer to heal.

I was very active before so I know it will come back but have been told could take a year to regain it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.