2 topics 1.Antidepressants 2.antibiotics

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would like to say that I have found some value in starting an antidepressant that I used to take.Some of the meds in this category, work on the pain center in the brain. This one is an older one,a tricyclic,which helps with painful urination and pain from a fissure. It is drying out, and so it is a catch 22.Does anyone have any experience with the newer antidepressants, helping with pain? The other topic is antibiotics. I think I need to take one for a sinus/ear infection. I am worried that with so much inflammation, from the LS, I would probably get a terrific yeast infection, on top of the LS. In the past I would use a presription called Terazol, but would hesitate to use now. Has anyone taken antibiotics, for other issues, and has it affected the LS? I am really suffering fron the sinus and ear problem, and am afriad I cannot recover without help .   Thank-you all        for your suggestions and support.   Cynthia

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I take Seroquel, Trazodone, Lamictal and Lexapro. I've been taking them for years. If they have affected lichen schelorosis is any way, I'm not aware of it.  As for antibiotics--- it seems as though I always have an UTI or sinus infections. I don't think any I've taken have affected it. Surprisingly I have had no yeast infections. I am in my 50's.
    • Posted

Thank you Mary, Do you find an of those meds, help you with the pain?I know the Lexapro ,which I have taken in the past, elevated my mood.Do your meds dry you out ?I appreciate your input.   Cynthia
    • Posted

Certainly SOMETHING dries me out! I had assumed it is my age! I've just started on some vaginal estrogen. It has made a huge difference in a very short time. If you google Lexapro--- or most of the others too, you'll read horror stories about people getting off their anti depressants. Sometimes they are a must. I will worry about getting off of them when the time comes. Horror reviews are written by the dissatisfied people, not the ones that are happy with the medicine!
    • Posted

I am sure that certain classifications of antidepressants are drying, especially ones that are in the older generation, like tricyclics. What is the name of the vag. estrogen, and does it bother or irritae area?   Cynthia
  • Posted

If taking antibiotics  eat some active yoghurt, this will protect your gut from losing too many good bugs and will help to stop yeast infections. I have just had x2 long course of antibiotics for chest infections following X bouts of flu and the yoghurt topped with honey worked for me

take care to change the antidepressant when the therapeutic window closes, each drug will have a finite time in which it works then the effectiveness lessens and people ask or are given bigger doses and you could become "addicted!. Ask the prescriber what the therapeutic window will be, and what you can do if they stop being so effective

good luck Sue

• Posted

Hi Suedm, I have in the past used acidophilus supplements , orally, for balance,in the vaginal area. I have no problem with yoghurt. Does it say active cultures on the container?I never thought antidepressants were addictive. The docs in the US would say no, but i am not sure. I understand about the window. Thanks so much for your input.
  • Posted

I'm not takihg painkillers as a rule.  Allergic to most of them, so I won't even try.  Rather have the pain.  Same with anti-depressants.  I'll work myself through the deep valley and climb out again.  What did make a difference to my overal mood were/are the vit. D drops.  

Did you try the Globetasol already Cynthia?  Or baking soda rinses and baths.  You will notice a difference with the inflammation.  

• Posted

Hi Hanny, I am allergic to a lot as well. Especially antibiotics. I have the little spray bottle. I have been using bottled spring water in it to rinse off the urine. It really helps, to keep further irritation away. Next I will try the baking soda in it.I am slow, Hanny, and still very frightened of the steroid. The people who have said it burns or irritates  is what worries me. I believe, though,because of this encouragement, which I am so grateful for, I will get there.I cannot say enough about this support group. There is a void that it fills, which doctors do  not.    Cynthia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.