2 week follow up/New cast

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone just came back from my 2 week follow up to my trimalleolar fracture surgery and just thought I'd give an update. It felt great to finally get the splint off and take a look at my leg/ankle. Doctor thought everything looked well even with the amount of bruising and swelling I have. I have a 9 inch incision on the outside of my ankle and a 3 inch incision on the inside. 22 staples were removed which didn't hurt but it just felt weird. What did hurt was when they had to position my foot at a 90 degree angle to get the cast on! As gentle as the doctor tried to be it was still painful trying to hold my foot in place.

Doctor showed me my x-ray post surgery and I have 1 plate and 10 screws holding my ankle together.2 screws going into my tibia and the other 8 in my fibula with one long screw going horizontally which will come out in 10 weeks. It was at that point that the doctor informed me that I will be non weight bearing for the next 10 weeks and will face another surgery to have that horizontal screw removed. That was disappointing to hear because I was hoping to be back on my feet in a few weeks and start PT.

As disappointing as that was I'm relieved to have the splint off. I'm in a cast now that goes from just under my knee to my toes and just trying to make the best of it. Best wishes to everyone with their ankle injuries and hope you are healing well. Thanks

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Nine weeks post op today still using walker walk a little around house without still pain and some swelling see Dr. again on 27th hope to be moving better by then. Invasion still has a couple of inches to heal lots of tightness in ankle and foot area. I wish you all well coming up to the two year anniversary with this July 26. It will get better.
    • Posted

Hey Ed thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your ankle and hope it feels better soon.

• Posted

Oh dion. So feel for you. Having to endure another surgery! Don't know what I would do if I was told that? Glad that everything is going the right way though. I'm out if everything and been told to get on with walking in shoe using crutches but trying to wean them off. But I feel I've gone backwards, pain and swelling is bad and gone back on the ZAPAIN. Physio in morning so let's so if she tells me this can happen? Good luck with everything. Sx

• Posted

Hey Sandra thanks for the reply. I'm trying to stay positive and keep telling myself to stay positive. Moderate pain and discomfort after getting the cast applied but I think that's from having to move my foot around today. Sorry to hear you're still feeling pain and dealing with swelling. How far along are you in your recovery? Hope your physio goes well tomorrow! Best wishes and good luck to you too.

• Posted

Hi dion I'm 12 weeks today since my fall and 10 1/2 weeks since my op. I'm actually sat here with a hot water bottle on my calve to see if it helps loosen things up a bit. As my heel and calve are aching bad. Had a lot of pain in my bunion and big toe too but that seems to of Eased until I do the exercises given from physio, so almost this nay be just the stretching of everything? But it's bad 😢 😢. Fingers Xsd it will start to ease up soon. Sx

• Posted

Hi Dion, I know what you are going through. I so looked forward to having my final cast off 7 1/2 weeks after surgery,  Oh goodness me, for a few weeks after I wished I still had it on. I am learning 6 months later that time is a great healer and sometimes we just have to accept what life has thrown at us.

I bought a waterproof 'sleeve' to cover my cast, the only problem was that the 3 showers in my house were all up unnegotiable steps. LOL I booked into a accesible hotel room for a shower.

I hope you feel better soon and you heal well.

• Posted

Hey Rusky thanks for the reply. I also bought a waterproof sleeve to shower in but it still doesn't make trying to shower with a cast on any easier. I'm always worried about falling getting out of the shower and having another injury to deal with lol.

• Posted

I got one. But couldn't even put it on alone. Had to have help. Only used it twice then my cast came off. I still don't stand on shower. I use a bath bench. Which is great. Sx

• Posted

I use the bench as well Sandra. I also bring in a chair to elevate my foot while sitting. Having a broken ankle makes everything more difficult lol. My girlfriend helps me out with everything which is funny because a year ago I was helping her when she had ankle surgery lol.
    • Posted

I have passed that stage now having to use the chair too. The things we have to do!! One leg in one leg out. Ha ha. Nice when you can put both in just to get water over bad foot and get rid of all that dry skin. Yuk. Still not strong enough to stand up in shower and wouldn't feel safe enough. Nice to have someone who has already gone through it all. You know what to expect then? How was her pain once she came out of cast/boot? Ready for FWB. Did she experience a lot of pain? Because mine is bad! And finding it very painful to walk on my foot, can't do without crutches. Have physio today so I'm hoping she tells me that this is normal. Update later. Wish me luck. Will definitely be taking my ZAPAIN before I go. Sx

• Posted

She had her ankle reconstructed a year ago to repair extensive ligament and tendon damage. My girlfriend played volleyball and basketball back in college and had numerous sprains the worst of which put her out for her senior season. It's bothered her over the years and just became too unstable and weak so she had surgery. She was in a splint for 2 weeks, a cast for 2 weeks and in a boot the last 4 weeks all non weight bearing. She said her pain was ok coming out of the boot and a year later she's back to most of her normal activities relatively pain free. Her and I belonged to the same co-ed adult sports league in town and she just came back to the league a week before I broke/dislocated my ankle. So it's been quite the year for both us lol.

Good luck with your physio and hope things get better with your ankle! Hopefully you get some good news.

• Posted

Right so that's me out as she sounds Fit, whats going against me is age I think plus not fit any more. I used to do loads when younger lots of aerobics swimming running and was Welsh champion in judo. Long time ago lol. Most I do now is walk the dog and DIY lazy me lol. Sx

• Posted

Hi ladies. Just to update you on today's physio. First of all she told me all the pain I'm having is quite normal. She said it was a very bad brake, and will take a while to recover.. She put me through some difficult exercise which hurt a lot, but pushed through it. THEN out of the blue ANOTHER. Panic attack cuts in!! So 20 mins in we had to call it a day, so annoyed. With these attacks, they are coming more n more. But she was pleased with me anyway. So as I now know nothing us wrong I will be pushing myself through some of the pain if I can. Here's to this nxt week of exercise. Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.