2 week follow up with no knee.

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi everyone.......as some of you recall, 2 weeks tomorrow I had to have the entire prosthesis removed due to spreading staph. This is the 4th complete opening of the knee and 10th surgery overall on the leg. Let me assure you, it doesn't get any easier. The surgery went well but required a lot of scraping of the bone due to pockets of infection

This in turn caused lots of bleeding and increased my hospital stay to a week. The morning I was scheduled to be sent to a rehab house I needed a blood transfusion. I have a hip to knee immobilizer to keep the leg straight. Friday I get the stitches pulled and hopefully they will adjust the immobilizer so I can try and get some of the bend back back. I can can now only do toe touches with no weight bearing. If all goes well, I'll get that up to 50% so I can be a bit more mobile and go home from rehab. Next step, early June, I will go back and have an entire new prosthesis inserted and then back to rehab for the grueling rebuild. Low pain levels seem to be easily maintained as you aren't doing any stretching or putting pressure on the joint put I envision it will be rather brutal tearing all of the dormant scar tissue loose when the time comes. Also I am on antibiotic infusion twice a day and will for 6-8 weeks. To all of the long time contributors to tgevforum, hope things are going well for you.

6 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Roland,

I am so sorry that you are living this nightmare.

I really hope that things start to improve for you.

Sorry I haven't been around before this but I have been living in the hospital myself, my daughter Veronica went into hospital for day surgery on Wednesday. She was having her endometriosis removed. They found that she had an ovarian cyst so they removed that. 

The endometriosis has spread to her bowel and they daren't even try to remove it for fear of her needing a bag.

She is still in hospital, in agony. They have to be careful what drugs they give her because of her epilepsy.

Her bruising and swelling got so bad that they gave her a scan this morning. There was no internal bleeding but she is still bleeding and they want it to stop.

She is having a blood transfusion at the moment. She keeps vomiting, and I am finding it so hard to keep myself from crying in front of her. I have a good bawl in the car park when I leave. She is only 34, next week and life has handed her this. She always wanted children but this terrible endometriosis has put a stop to that.

Sorry to bring you down

Caz x

• Posted

Oh Caz, I am literally in tears reading this - my heart goes out to you. As a mother I know exactly what you are going through! Nothing worse than to see your child in pain. We would rather it be us instead of them.

I will keep positive thoughts for your precious daughter that she gets through this ordeal and the healing process quickly.

I'm sending you a warm hug and even though I can't personally be there for support, please know you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Betty

• Posted

So sorry to hear this  . . you must be in a terrible state, and we can only hope that soon she begins to improve , the bleeding stops, and they are able to make her more cofortable, and start healing. I do hope so . .. 
    • Posted

Oh Caz I am sorry to hear your news.  Your daughter is so young, bless her heart.  As a mother myself you don't like to see your kids so ill.  I hope she recovers soon and you and her are in my thoughts.  Big hugs to you both.  Keep strong xxx
    • Posted

I do not have children so I can not imagine what you are going thru. I really hope they get a handle on what is happening with your daughter. It makes my little complaints seem so trivial. Best wishes
    • Posted

Oh Caz, that's awful news. It must be very hard for you to stay strong but I'm sure your daughter really appreciates having her mum there. I hope she improves soon. My thoughts are with you.

Jen xx 

• Posted

That is heartbreaking........we sort of expect things to wear out and break as we age but not for those that haven't even reached a half way point of life. I know having a daughter with MS has been draining but nothing like having a child in pain, I'm sure. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy and complete recovery are going your way. Keep us advised.
    • Posted

Thank you for your thoughts. I am heading back to the hospital in a few minutes. Veronica's transfusion took most of the night so she was sleepy when she face timed me this morning. 

She is still not able to keep any food down. I am thinking of taking her in some kind of food drink? What do you guys think?

She has been on the verge of a seizure overnight and she is terrified of having one alone.

The hospital is a 20 min drive away, so not far.

My knee is killing me, I think it's because I'm not having time to exercise it.

Thanks again.

She is on Endone.

Caz x

• Posted

Hi Betty,

Can you please relay all this to Jean? I have no time these days to do much.

Caz x

• Posted

Oh Caz

I'm so very sorry to hear about your daughter it must be a nightmare time for you..... 

And it's terribly hard not to cry in front of them when your heart is breaking.

My thoughts and love are with you

be strong 

Jean 

xxx

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Well, Veronica is out of hospital. I brought her home on Monday night, but since then I seem to have slept a lot. She is still in a lot of pain and she saw her surgeon yesterday morning. He is going to track her menstrual cycle and give her the fertility drug as soon as possible. The only way to rid yourself of Endometriosis ( which causes infertility) is to have a baby. 

Her bruising is dreadful, it goes acros her stomach and round her back, down to one knee and up to her breast on the left side, where the ovarian cyst was.

I didn't tell you, the weirdest thing was ... She was in the exact same bed as I was when I had my TKR! Gave me the eebie jeebies!

Caz x

• Posted

So pleased she is home and hopefully on the mend.  Bruising sounds awful though.  How weird about the hospital bed though!   I hope both of you improve now and that you can also get back to recovery xx
    • Posted

Hi Caz, glad to hear your daughter is home, and, hopefully on the mend. She's had a really tough time by the sound of it and such a worry for you. Glad to hear you're sleeping - you must be exhausted. Hopefully the fertility treatment works and you'll have a lovely grandchild before long.

Mind you, a friend of mine's daughter, a twin herself, had a similar problem as your daughter, received fertility treatment and now has identical twin boys. The strange thing is, identical twins are not hereditary nor the type you usually get as a result of fertility treatment!! Nature is funny isn't it? They're smashing little boys 👬

Hope all goes well for your daughter.

Jen

• Posted

Hi Caz,

The best of luck for you and your daughter! I have 2 daughters & the "window of opportunity" to have children has run out, due to similar problems as Veronica, so I understand how stressful it must be for Veronica right now! Hopefully she will produce a lovely grandchild ( or 2) for you, as Jennifer so graciously said.

I've come to accept my circumstances as things happen for a reason. ( what else can you do!) Disappointing but I can still spoil my friends grandchildren 😬

Happy Birthday to dear Veronica and take care of yourself mom!!!

X Betty

• Posted

hi Caz 

what wonderful news about the fertility treatment for your daughter she seems to have suffered for something positive to come out of it.

it must have been an extremely worrying time for you and than goodness things have turned out ok.

you need to look after yourself as you will be no good to her if you get ill.

And how spooky for your daughter to be in the same bed as you were.

thinking of you both X

Jean 

• Posted

Happy Birthday to your daughter and hopefully this is the start of a lot of healing and moving forward.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.