2 Week Post Op Abdominal Hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello, i am 2 weeks post op, had my 2 week appointment yesterday and my Dr. said that i am healing and looking great considering he just performed the open hysterectomy DEC 7th. I am getting around pretty good, but I still have some pain in abdomen around incision bikini cut. I have noticed that when I do a lot of walking and standing I get a tightness and pain in abdomen. Is anyone else experiencing this?, I hope I am not alone in this that I am feeling. I occasionally have some sharp pains and stinging around the incision, is anyone having that as well. I want to believe my Dr. that I am healing great, but I seem like I am still in pain even though I have good days and bad days.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi Frances, sounds like you're doing great!

You have had major surgery, everthing has to reorganise and settle in place of the utereus thats been removed. Your body is working really hard, I had similar pain and was told to take it as a sign I was maybe doing too much too soon. I had pain and swelling around my incision which I was told was common as extra blood flow goes to the area to aid healing. I'm now 18wks post surgery and healed well yet it took longer than I hoped and has been frustrating. Be kind to yourself, take it easy and best of luck with your recovery. Don't be afraid to seek professional advice to reassure you and give you peace of mind, keep an eye on wound but hopefully your healing will be straightforward. My energy levels really fluctuated, good days then days I felt totally wiped. Would recommend a well woman/gynae physio for after care, mine has been fab and given loads of care and advice that I wouldn't of been aware of otherwise.

All the best, D : )

• Posted

Thank you dm2136, I feel like I am getting better. I think what triggers my pain and swelling the most is doing a lot of walking, outside and in the house just walking from room to rooms. Or if I am standing for long periods of time, fixing something to ear, or just standing around. I have also noticed that I have some discomfort in my abdomen while using the restroom, guess that is just pressure of attempting to empty my bladder.

GOOD luck with your continued recovery and thanks for letting me know that what i am experiencing you have been there.

• Posted

Hi Frances, the pain is normal and will take a little while. your wound may have closed on the outside but it is still quite fresh on the inside. With a TAH you need at least 8 weeks and even after that you will have this pain around the the skin on the lower abdominal area which I understand is nerves regeneration.

please it appears as if you are doing quite a bit do take things very easy and lift nothing heavy, avoid pushing or pulling or straining for 12 weeks at least.

listen to your doctor for his professional advise but this is my experience. I am 17 weeks post TAH Bikini cut.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, I try to take it easy but there are things that I have to do myself as there is not always someone available to assist me. I am really not doing much, just a lot of walking around the house, and a lot of standing. That is when i feel that pain.

• Posted

Frances

Please take advice and rest more than you are.

You have had major surgery and it takes 12 wks for the healing of your wound but up to 12 mths internally.

If yku do too much early on you can prolapse.

I know it can be frustrating but one chance you get to heal but many more chances to do.your chores.

Take care love x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.