2 weeks after distal radius fracture surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I still have stich es. Will be 2 weeks un 2 days when stitches will be removed. Have a volar plate fixed with 4 screws. It was a comminuted fracture. It am 40 female. What would be next step? In how many eeeks the splint will be removed. It can make fist and straighten my fingers ands of now but pain is there.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello. Extensive occupational therapy is next. You are very lucky that you can make a fist. I am 5 months out and still have difficulty making a fist. Pain is a different story. You might have it for up to a year although my pain has decreased significantly. Tylenol and Motrin should help. Just don't skip the OT! Good luck.

• Posted

Hello two weeks are very short period of time for this type of fracture it's normal that you are still in pain. I have had the same fracture (also ulna) and surgery  three months ago and now my arm is almost normal as the other one just with a pretty scar. The splint will be removed after 4-6 weeks from surgery and after that you are going to start the  physiotherapy, it's very important. When the cast will be removed you probably can not bend the wrist but don't worry with the PT and the time everything will be ok.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you Dario. However some people have told that PT will start after 2 weeks. I am confused.
  • Posted

In my opinion the only PT that you can do now is close and open the hand. The plate speeds up the recovery because you can start the PT soon but two weeks are too few.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.