2 weeks away from TKR and having doubts

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had my pre-admission appointment and it has left me wondering if I am doing the correct thing by going ahead with this. The doctor says 1 in 3 are not happy with the result. Talked about loss of movement in knee which doesnt sound like progress. The inplant will be stainless steel. I have been reading online about titanium and all sorts of other space age sounding materials. This may have been in the States I guess but this stainless steel sounds old fashioned. The justification is that its tried and tested but that approach would have us still using leaches. I need both knees done but approach is only to do one intially. So I am facing 3 motnhs incapicitation, off work etc with the same thing to follow in the next couple of years. I was also told that as I am only 53 I will need to repeat the procedure later in life. Sorry - reading this back I sound like I am whinging. Does anyone know anyone who has been through this and it has improved things? Just the doc painted a pretty bleak picture.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well....From personal experience it is giving me problems 3 months after the operation....(See my thread)....But I'm fairly convinced that it will be worth it eventually...eventually....It just seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time to sort itself out...the swelling being the main problem for me....
    • Posted

Many thanks, Pete. I will have a read through your thread. Interesting to know it is still a challenge after 3 months. As long as it is going in the right direction I guess. Roger

• Posted

Have a read of my blog Roger.....Others have found it quite an interesting read.

• Posted

Am having to break off reading as I have a meeting I should have been preparing for. That's a right "page turner" you have got there, I couldn t put it down in the language of paperbacks. it was all I could do not to cheer out loud when you reappeared on the other side. I am currently following your painful progress but already it has been a huge help - inspirational even. Many many thanks
    • Posted

meant to ask. what kind of range of movement did you have before, and have you got that back? Also do you know if you had the stainless steel implant?

Like you I am dreading the epidural approach I really do not want to be around for that. You said in your blog you would have been out of it for a day and half . .. is that such a bad thing wink

• Posted

Awwww...that's really nice of you to say that Roger...I'm humbled, and my thoughts were, that if it helps just one person, then I've achieved my goal.

Thank you so much!

• Posted

My range of movement before the op was almost, but not quite as good as my other leg (which is ok)...However, it did hurt when I bent it fully....and was progressively getting worse, seemingly by the day......My movement now though is probably getting close to where it was pre-op...however, it hurts to bend it past a certain point.....The physio people told me, you can't break anything or do any harm when you bend it past your pain threshold...But that's easier said than done I assure you.

Oh, and if you've read my blog you'll know I was frightened silly about having the spinal thing....But I would recommend it.  Really!....It's actually fascinating in a weird sort of way.  If I had to have the other one done (god forbid)...I wouldn't think twice about having the spinal.

Oh and yes...a day and a half is a lot of wasted time once the op is done...The idea is, to get you up and moving as soon as humanely (yes I did spell that right) possible...smile

• Posted

Oh, and I forgot.....my implant is not stainless...it some kind of other metal (the ward sister did tell me but I can't recall it)...and plastic.
    • Posted

I have come round to the spinal from what you are saying - I just dont like people messing with my back and really (really!) would prefer to know nothing about it. Glad to hear your results have been positive.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Any time Roger.  I virtually didn't feel a thing when they put the needle in my back....To coign a phrase, it was just a little prick...hahaha...and didn't hurt at all....And I was frightened stiff of being 'aware' of the op...and I don't know if they do it routinely, but I specifically asked for some 'happy juice'...and all I can say, is that I really didn't care a hoot what was going on with my leg...although I was fully aware of it...smile
  • Posted

I am having the same worries Roger as I am just behind you. I think the consultants have to give you the worst scenario but I have a friend who was driving after six weeks. As my knee is totally gone I have no choice really as the pain and swelling etc will only get worse. I was originally told I needed a new knee when I was 55 but have put it off for twelve years. I am sure when the time comes for your second knee to be done things will have improved.

• Posted

Carol, many thanks. It is very kind of people to respond. My sleep is broken with the pain and I can't stand for any length of time. I can walk slowly but it is sore so I avoid anything that is not essential. Furthest I have walked in the last month or so would be 300 yards and have only done that a couple of times. As you say the condition will only get worse . . . I have been wondering if I should just "man up" or if I had reasonable concerns. Good to hear about your friend. I guess I havent had any positive stories like that to counterbalance what felt like negativity from the docs.
    • Posted

I've just read Pete's blog and at one point was ready to ring the hospital and cancel but at the end he seems to be getting there so not opting out yet.  I have 'joint school' with the physio next week so will ask a lot more questions then.

• Posted

Nooo...My blog wasn't intended to put anyone off...it's merely my personal experience....and my rant towards the end was how I was feeling at the time, which as you might have gathered, wasn't very good smile...But since I've been back at work and more active, it has definitely improved...The swelling is still an issue for me...But hey ho...I've been told that could be up to 12 months to sort out....Life goes on in the meantime.

As for asking the physio people, I wouldn't hold too much credence with that...They didn't seem 'all that' clued up to me.  Only in the recovery process, and some of them were actually students.  It was a group session type thing where there's maybe a a dozen or more people there...

• Posted

That's what I'm having next week. 'joint school' it's called. Your blog has been very helpful so thank you. It was honest. I have had the swelling for years although my osteopath gets it down very well. I shall be visiting her when I'm discharged from physio. My concern is the anaesthetic. I would love a spinal but have very bad arthritis in my spine and am worried about an injection there causing more trouble. Could it have caused your back ache do you think? i hope my memory foam matress helps. I also hope I can dance after all this. Not been able to for years. We shall see.
    • Posted

No...it was definitely not the injection which caused the backache...I've had that on and off for years....Not remotely connected to the spinal injection...I know that for certain!
    • Posted

Thank you for that. Still not sure though. My skeleton is awful all the way through but at least my organs are good for which I'm very thankful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.