2 weeks in, but feel awful!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Tomorrow will be the 14th day that I have taken 10mg of citalophram, on Saturday my dosage increases to 20mg, after I was prescribed it initially I felt really positive that I had taken steps towards being better, but the last few days have been dreadful, am feeling very low and have sobbed and sobbed, not sleeping much or eating much either.

Am I wasting my time taking such a low dosage?

I read that some people felt detached from their emotions and I want that to happen to me too, because if I don't feel anything then the hurt stops, am so angry that I am in this position and I feel very lonely and alone, will this stop?

Last few days have made me feel like I have taken a giant step backwards sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't feel that you have taken a step backwards. C can really help if you persist. Talk to your GP about the dose and increase it if you need to.
  • Posted

Hi There,

I am so sorry you are feeling bad

I am not taking this medicine, so I have little advice on that score, but I am 60years old, (first time I have written that and it's hard to believe!) I have gone trough some bad stuff, like most people do...

I have had times when life has been very hard to take and I have felt lonely and desperate at different times especially when I was crossed in love!

I thought it may help you to know that these feeling do pass and you become stronger and wiser for the experience...I am sure this sounds trite! but it is true.

My only real advice is, being emotionally hurt is very much like being ill,

look after yourself in the same way, Bubble baths, good food, routine and rest...I hope this helps, good luck

• Posted

Hi,

Ive been on citalopram, 20mg for about 5 months.

I felt better almost straight away with citalopram,

however after a while i did notice that i was maybe more suseptable

to mood swings than before i started taking it. However it did help me cope

with some irational fears i had before.

I have heard some people say they did not feel too good on 20mg but when

the dose doubled to 40mg they suddenly felt better. I also have heard of people who just felt worse taking 40mg...and some people just dont get on with citalopram full stop. we are all different thats the bottom line, hearing good or bad stories from other people does not mean it will be the same for you.

I have a feeling that citalopram helps lift the type of depression that arises from too much anxiety. However it can make you feel worse because it lowers your dopamine.

I have just declined my doctors advise to up my citalopram to 40mg as i was starting to get worried about the mood swings. Maybe this was a mistake but there you go.

Instead I have started to take imitriptyline 10mg, this is a trycyclic and

effects other things not just serotonin. For one thing it also boosts norepinephrine. It is a bit early to say yet but so far i just feel right.

Im sorry this reply doesnt give a definate answer but i dont think its easy to give one!

Good luck whatever you decide, maybe keep us posted?

• Posted

Hi

What i would like to know is do you feel worse on 10mg than on nothing

at all? When i first replied to your message i was assuming that

citalopram was actually making you feel worse. If that isnt the case then please ignore me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.