2 weeks in taking Fluoxetine - are these side effects or is something seriously wrong with me?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, 

About 3 and half years ago I was prescribed citalopram for depression, after a rough few months the past couple of years have been great! However upon my last check up with my doctor he changed my citalopram to Prozac due to him not liking the effect citalopram has on the heart? 

Anyway I've been taking them 2 weeks, about four days ago I noticed this awful tightening in my chest and just an awful feeling something was seriously wrong with my health, I got an emergency doc appt and he checked my blood pressure, my heart and chest etc and gave me some

Tablets for acid reflux or similar .. . 

Anyway for the last two days I no longer feel like myself and it's really difficult to describe, the tightening in my chest is still there, I seem to have shakes I can't get rid of and I can't shake the feeling of 'something terrible is going to happen' I haven't been able to eat properly in about three days I've nibbled on meals prepared but just have no appetite at all. I woke up this morning and got myself into a panic for no reason and ended up vomiting.  

I've had bad periods of depression but have never felt detached like I do now, I just can't concentrate on anything at all. After confiding in my mother she's convinced it's due to the Prozac and asked if I could see the doctor and to stop taking them. The doctor said to continue taking them till I can see him which isn't whilst another 5 days, I'm more worried that this awful feeling is telling me something is wrong with my health or something but notice my chest tightening gets worse when thinking about worries and also feels like my hearts beating out of my chest. 

Has anyone else had anything similar? I'm sorry if it's a ramble and difficult to read, thank you 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HI Charolttep,

Im sorry you are having side effects from taking Prozac. What you are describing can be typical side effects for Prozac. It sounds like anxiety. When starting on Prozac your symptoms can actually get worse for awhile. This should settle down between 4-8 weeks. I know that sounds like a long time but it is a good med for many and very effective. I'm on my second go around of Prozac and have had many side effects but they are now almost all gone. The only thing left is mild anxiety when I wake up. It can be very scary when you feel the way you do but you are not alone. There are many of us who are or have gone through the same thing. It's hard to believe you will ever feel better the way you are feeling now but you will. Take care of yourself, rest when you can and be kind to yourself. If you have any other questions I'm happy to help if I can.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply, it's a relief to hear they can be a result of the Prozac and also great to hear most of the side effects have gone for you! I will definitely persevere until I see my gp, hopefully I will feel better by then anyhow. Thank you again for your kind words, they are much appreciated 

• Posted

Sorry to hear. Sounds so similar to my story. I was also on Celexa and switched to Prozac. Took me months to stabilize. I learned the hard way that SSRI's should be tapered slowly. No more than 5% at a time every 2-4+ weeks. That led me to find I've been in a mental blank fog for to long on them. Do your homework on the proper way to taper off if they don't work for you. Look into alternative methods of treatment which has been my mission.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hey charlotte 

I have just started fluoxetine 3 days ago now and i am experiencing the exact same thing. I have literally just got of the phone from 111 as they have made me freak out that much. Apparrantly they can make you feel worse before they make you feel better. So im going to try ride it out , i also have read on here these same feelings that we are describing. 

Even with reassurance and reading things though i still cant help but worry but i think its from the heightened anxiety.

All i know is i feel really weird and not myself and im only on day 3 lol i cant imagine having to feel like this for 2 weeks.

Hang in there and i hope you feel better soon , maybe if your worried get an emergency appointment at the doctors just to be on the safe side

x

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply, it's a relief to see someone else with the same side effects, though Of course id rather you be side effect free! I keep reading that it makes things worse before better, so that's reassuring, I just can't shake this anxious feeling, I kind of forget about them when in conversation with relatives but as soon as I'm free to my own thoughts, the sick with worry feeling returns instantly! 

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I hope both of us feel better soon! Sending positive thoughts your way. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.