2 Weeks of Antibiotics & only varied improvement?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if someone could help me because I'm getting really worried about my leg. I do have anxiety which obviously isn't a help but I don't think this is a good situation either? 

On the 23rd of March I noticed a patch of red on my leg that hurt and burned. I went to the GP on 24th and she diagnosed cellulitis and gave me Clarithroymicin. Towards the end of my 7 day course I was feeling dizzy, my stomach hurt intensely, and I just wanted to stop but didn't. On the last day I returned. My leg was a lot paler & cooler. It hadn't spread upwards but it had spread around my leg and wasn't completely gone. 

My GP said it should be fine to leave it now but I wasn't sure and I'd told her my troubles with Clarithroymicin so she gave me a course of Flucloxacillin for 7 days instead but told me to wait a day or two and see if it get's redder again before taking those. I did wait 2 days but I knew i'd be scared if i didn't take them so I did.

Now I have one day left of Flucloxicillin and... 

It has improved, some? You can still see it but it's pale compared to before. The swelling is down a LOT, and it's not always as warm. But my problem is that it's still not totally gone.

Sometimes it will get a lot more red again, and warm. I don't really have any pain anymore unless pressing upon the area near the bite/spot that seemed to start it. (At least I think so, I'm not sure what it is or what bit me.) Especially on a morning it seems a lot redder than before, then it'll get pale again. It's driving me crazy because it's nearly 2 weeks and I don't know how to make that stop. 

I also feel confused because it's not moving upwards, and the redness comes in patches, and the swelling hasn't returned. A lot of people talk about the intense pain too but my pain has not been intense. I am just worried that I can't shift it! 

a) Is it meant to be totally gone by the time you finish the anti-biotics or is this okay? I am scared of it remaining and getting a stronger hold.

b) Why does it keep getting so red and warm? Is it just how I am sleeping?  Or is this a sign of the anti-biotics not able to completely fight it off? I'm so scared because everyone else said 2 weeks should do it... 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think a 7 day course of antibiotics was way too conservative.  I was on antibiotics for way longer (initially diagnosed incorrectly.)  After finally being diagnosed correctly with cellulitus I was given a new (correct) drug for 2 weeks. after already being on (wrong) antibiotics for around a month.  When I returned, the doctor was all smiles, but I was not because it was not all better.  Did it look 85% better than when he initially saw me.  Absolutely.  I insisted on another week of the same effective drug and he obliged.  I then went to a bunch of docs (maybe anxiety-driven as well.)  I went to an vascular and infectious disease doctor who offered good info, but no further treatment.  In time, I got better. All that remains is a black spot where the bite/cellulits was.  (This is stasis.) Personally, I'd go back. If the 2nd drug was more tolerable, I'd ask for another week's worth.  The fact that it's not spreading upward isn't an issue since it is spreading around.  Sleep would likely do your leg good as elevation is important. (Above your heart.)  Do not sleep with an electric blanket.  In fact, to help with inflamation and pain I used to ice it (20 min on/20 min off.)  Most cellulitis patients have also had a dose of steroides such as prednisone to help with the pain and inflamation.  It looks like the worst is behind so steroids may not be necessary at this time, but rare that one isn't prescribed along with the antibiotic.  Good luck.  

• Posted

Thanks for the info. 

Sorry you had such a hard time. :c

It spread around my leg on maybe the third/fourth day of noticing it, and since then it hasn't really spread any further in any direction. The patches of red just come and go. It looks pale, then get's more red. I have been elevating it too. I do think it feels like the worst is gone but I don't want to jinx it because it's like I'm not able to get FULLY rid of it? 

And I don't know if they means it just needs time to get better on it's own now or if it means it could possibly come back. 

My meds end tomorrow so I think I'll go back on Monday & see GP again. 

• Posted

It took me six different antibiotics to get rid of mine. I was given 2 IVs three days apart and sent home with some pills and nothing happened, my nurse BLESS HER!!! told me if nothing happened to not call my doc again, but to dial 911. So I did. Hospital gave me a 2 more doses of the same IV.

Still nothing happened, I pulled doctor aside to show him and ask if I could get something different. So I got a new IV (four doses) over 2 days and sent home with 2 different sets of pills. One lasted 7 days, the other 10. All in all, I was prescribed 2 different kinds of IV antibiotics & 4 pills (only 2 of which I ended up using all of, docs dumped the other two when I went into the hospital).

The swelling had gone down before I even saw a doctor the first time, as I spent a whole day with my leg up. But I was concerned about a possible DVT, which is why I went to see doc to begin with. I'd never even heard of cellulitis. Can't believe how hard that was to get rid of.

If you are not satisfied with what's going on, MAKE SOME NOISE. That's the lesson I came away with.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice!

You seemed to get the same response from the doctor I did. :l Was yours still spreading or still bright red/painful?

I can't understand why doctors seem to be sending patients away with the infection not completely cleared up. Is it not as serious as we think? I can't seem to think they'd be satisfied sending people away knowing they're in great danger from DVT or septosemia or anything else? Are these things less likely when it's winding down? What's the deal?

Any doctors here to explain?

• Posted

@Brunette35 I don't know why your replies were deleted. You did nothing wrong. And I can't send you any private messages so I just want you to know i appreciate your help. Thank you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.