2 weeks off mitrazapine, suffering with withdrawals, support and success stories needed

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello, after being on mitrazapine for 2 months i decided to come off it as it wasnt really helping and i felt it was making me angry, i tapered down over a month and stopped once i got to 7.5mg...the past week has been hell - thankfully im still sleeping around 4-5 hours per night, but the nausea is unbearable and unrelenting, no appetite, and my mood is very low with waves of anxiety - i think it might be a general come down from antidepressants which ive been on constantly for 15 years - i really want to do this, but having to take 1.5mgs lorazepam to get through the day, i just need some encouragement, no horror stories please - ive read enough of them! x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi karen ive come off mirt 3 times it is rough but can do it, the nausea etc does pass x

• Posted

thanks for that, feeling possibly 5% better today, still no appetite at all though - when did you start to feel better? ive heard the first few weeks are the worst...

• Posted

it comes in waves and windows i think at around 4 months i felt better but everyone is different, but you will heal, try to keep drinking plenty of water and eating often but healthy also exercise helps x

• Posted

hi, it took me 3/4 months to feel myself again. to beat the nausea take a anti sickness tablet ( ones for seasickness work well) Like other posts time is the key. we all function differently. take some vitamin b as this helps with feeling better in your self. get out and about too. Please make sure u r coming off the meds for the right reasons. There is no stigma in taking them. if they have made u feel better take them. a happy life is better than dreading each day and being miserable.

• Posted

hi tempest, the reason in coming off them is that they just werent working - making me angry which scared me, im really suffering today though - nausea and no appetite at all, and my mood is compeley flat - its been about 14 days without now - i really need some assurance, im crying all the time and just need to know i will feel like eating again, right now thats all i want, just an appetite - so scared my brain has been broken and ill be like this forever, can you remember this stage in the wirhdrawls ? just need kind words x

• Posted

yes karen yes! everything comes in waves and windows put it will pass, im eating 4 small meals a day now and nausea is minimal x ps they made me angry too x

• Posted

hi Karen, the symptoms u r feeling will pass. try the seasick pills or see your doctor for a anti sickness tablet. To help with withdrawal if in UK you can take pregabalin for anxiety it works wonders and calms you down., available from your doctor. As for your appetite try some soup and crackers , its a start. Close your eyes when eating and feel and taste the food your r eating. it may sound silly but it consentrates your senses on what you r doing and not fixating on i have no appetite.. Go for a walk and take in what you see and hear around you. Again it can divert your thoughts. If it is getting too much then you may need another medication to help you.

• Posted

thanks Toria, ive just eaten some salted chrisps - it was literally the only thing i could stomach, did you go onto any other medication or are you trying to stay med free now?

• Posted

thanks tempest, i agree its good to get out, ive got 2 little kids plus a job interview early so ive tried to keep busy, im having to take lorazapam at the moment to help me function - much as i hate it, its just until the anxiety and nausea die down a bit, its just awful right now x

• Posted

Hang on in there. Think of anxiety as your body calming down from coming off the meds. Its had a big shock and needs to adjust. Tell yourself that over and over again. Its just a reaction that will subside. I used to make a joke if it and say well that's my loopy few hours for the day which got less and less as time went on. The more you react to it the worse it is.

• Posted

thanks tempest i really like that analogy, and i will use it, are you taking any other meds now or are you med free ??

• Posted

hi karen, i take propranolol as needed for a little morning anxiety, this is non additive and helps that shaky feelings u get with anxiety.. i also take magnesium and melatonin to sleep as i can't seem to get a good sleep pattern. That's the thing that bugs me. Otherwise im fine. It''s hard but the end goal is worth it. I would not be here if it weren't for Mitrazapine, . It helped me when i needed it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.