2 weeks off of Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

No weight loss (gained 3 stone) Imsomnia and anxiety. Feeling very much like I did before starting Mirt. Will this pass or should I go back on them and deal with the nasty side effects of weight. At least I used to sleep. Now I just dread going to bed knowing 3-4 hrs is all I will get. Any advise would be appreciated please.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Your sleep may take time to adjust. You might want to try an over the counter product that is not addictive  to help you out.

May I ask HOW you came off the mirt?

• Posted

Thanks for reply. I came off them very slowly from 30 to 7.5 over a month. 
    • Posted

Wow, another lucky person. You did awesome, if insomnia is your only WD symptom. That's fantastic.

Again, give it time and try something mild, in the mean time. Your brain needs time to readjust.

• Posted

Hi Lorraine, 

I think generally the side effects will get better eventually, like insomnia and possibly anxiety

Though if you are still feeling like "before" and you still have issues with Depression, I can only tell you what I learned this week:

There is a new medication that's called Trintellix. It's chemically very similar to mirtazapine, has apparently the same effects, but without the weight gain

Maybe this would be a solution for you? Ask your doctor and have him/her research the medication and if it's available where you live. It has just been released for sale in Canada.

• Posted

Hi Lorraine, sorry to hear you're feeling like this, did you stop taking them on docs advice? I completely understand where you're coming from re The weight gain as it turned into a big issue for me, could you talk to doc about trying something else that'll help with insomnia & anxiety as you're still feeling like you did, I did this & was given sleeping tablets for 4wks to help get back into a sleeping pattern & so far so good, my other AD was upped to compensate for mood & anxiety etc, I hope this was of some help, wishing you well x
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine. I tried to get off mirtazapine due to the weight gain. It is a great AD for me, especially for my sleeping, but the weight gain was intollerable. I failed in getting off them because of the withdrawals (terrible nausea and insomnia) so I decided 'better happier and fatter than miserable and an insomniac. Then after Christmas this year, I decided I would try to lose the weight. It was not easy, but it DID come off. I have had a couple of plateaus where I have gained again slightly or not lost anything for a few weeks despite my diet, but each time I changed something such as increasing my exercise or reducing my calories (as the lighter you get, the fewer calories you need), and now it is flying off again. I am now slim again and only want to lose another half a stone, and feel very confident I will do it. Some one else on here managed to lose 4 stone whilst on mirtazapine. It IS possible, but not without cutting your food intake and upping your exercise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.