2 weeks off prednisolone

Posted , 11 users are following.

Ok so it's been 2 weeks since I took my last prednisolone tablet and the withdrawal symptoms don't really seem to be subsiding.

The main issues revolve around the following

Breathlessness just walking

Really quite bad aches and pains in my legs and back when waking up

Skin rash / hives that come and go

Lastly very very dry skin on my hands

I just wondered if anyone can relate to these symptoms and whether the be feeling this after two weeks is normal.

Thanks

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was on prednisone for over 3 years for rheumatoid arthritis. I started at a low dose of 10mg a day, then look last year my new Rheumatologist reduced the dose ro 5mg a day and finally 2 weeks ago we stopped it completely. I'm having all of these side effects. I was wondering when I would start feeling better?

• Posted

If you have been on Prednisolone for a while it is vital to reduce the dosage gradually.

I have been working on reducing from 5mg daily for the last six months and am still on 2mg a day. I am 78 years of age and started on steroids some years ago prescribed for Polymyalgia. In 2014 my doctor reduced my dosage over only one month and this resulted in severe symtoms of sickness and swellings around my face. This time my Doctor is wisely proceeding more slowly. So far so good. I am suffering pain in my hands probably arthritus which was masked by the steroids dose. So take things slowly.

• Posted

Hey guys. I'm currently on 30mg of prednisone for arthritis. Last time I tried to taper down to 25mg (when I was only 2 months on it) I developed a terrible rash on my face, arms and neck that was unbearably itchy. They told me to go back to 30mg and then the rash went away. I started taking actemra (the doctor is hoping it'll cancel out the prednisone so I won't have a reaction once I taper off again) he told me to wait a month then start taking 5mg less every 3 weeks. I'm scared that I'll develop that itch again, once I begin next week. Did this happen to anyone else? Is there any way to make the itch go away (I had tried every cream, cold showers, Benadryl, nothing worked). Currently have been on prednisone for 6 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.