2 Weeks Post Ankle Orif Op - Struggling...

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello everyone,

It is 3:30 am, just to give a heads up on my post being a bit scattered.

I am few months short of a 30 year old female, in good health and good career.

About 3 weeks ago I fractured my ankle in 3 places (trimaleleoar fracture). Had ankle orif surgery 2 weeks ago with one plate, 5 screws on one side, and 2 long screws on the other (back fracture didn't require fixation according to surgeon).

I have stitches, which are meant to be removed later today, probably why I cannot sleep, not that I get much sleep these days anyway.

I have never had any surgery or even visited the ER for myself prior to this. I can honestly say that this has been the worst experience in my life. The helplessness and inability to perform basic tasks for myself has really put me in a state of depression, anxiety and hopelessness.

I try to put on a brave face as I have many people around to help and care for me, including my mother who has taken unpaid leave to look after me, so I realize just how lucky I am. Still, I cannot help the tears anytime I drop something and realize I cannot get it without waking her up or asking for help.

I like to think of myself as a strong woman but I feel hopeless as I write this because in a matter of seconds my life took a turn I could have never predicted. I am trying to stay informed and positive and found this a good opportunity to share and hopefully gain insights from likeminded and kindred in sadness people.

As for today's first post op, the stitches being removed is heavy on my mind along with seeing my ankle for the first time since surgery.

Any advice on medication for stitches removal or how I can make this less traumatizing on my self than it has to be? Yes, I'm squirmish and still can't believe I didn't faint from the IV for surgery.

Thank you all in advance, please share your stories and all comments are welcome.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You and I are close enough in time of injury. I had a bimalleour fracture on July 20. I work in the medical field (Nuclea Tech. In cardiology clinic). I had ORIF surgery the next day. I've been lucky that once I had the surgery my pain was gone. But I too am crazy frustrated with not being able to live my life. I feel like I'm attending classes in acceptance and patience. I am married so my husband has been a great help but I'm not one that likes the rely on anyone. I've fallen 3 times trying too do something that You shouldn't  once with crutches do even nice of the knee walker Im using now. The knee walker really made it easy for me to move around and feel less helpless. I keep following your discussion to see how Parnell our experiences are.

• Posted

Hi,

How are you now?

I read your feelings and to tell you that I am exactly going through the same phase and little fearful for my suture removal. Whether it has healed or not. Whether it may reopen due to lack of healing.

It is now almost two weeks when this trimalleolar fracture Surgery was conducted on my right ankle. I still feel pain inside my cast, sleeping is tough task, I feel comfortable awake than during sleep as keeping leg in one position hurts during sleep. Pls guide me for further healing to help me in my worries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.