2 weeks post ankle surgery: when will I walk/swim again?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Three weeks ago I broke my fibula and had a small avulsion fracture of the tibia after falling off my skateboard. I had surgery two weeks ago today, and had 9 screws and a plate put in. Today my ortho doc gave me a walking boot, but said I was still non-weight bearing, so I'll have to use crutches for another four weeks. I'm wondering if there's a chance I'll be able to swim laps for exercise? Is it possible I could swim with the boot on if I find some sort of waterproof cover and swim with my leg raised or something of that sort? . Obviously I would not use the bum leg to kick, push off the walls, etc. It's absolutely killing me not being able to do much exercise. Doc said I can only take the boot off for sleeping (even then I still have a splint to wear).

Also, if I start partial weight bearing in four weeks, how long would it take me to be full weight bearing? I go back to school in late september and was hoping to be done with this mess by then but am not sure how realistic that is. 

Thanks! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh boy I understand ur desire to exercise asap. I felt the same way- because it was such an important  daily part of my routine that helped my mental health.

i truly don't think you should NOT swim- for so many reasons yet- 1st you don't want to risk an infection with the hardware you have from surgery. 

Pools are dirty.

I suggest the not very exciting arm bicycle machine - it is boring as can be but does give you cardio- or if your gym has it or you can get a pass to a gym that does the VMX rope pull. That particular machine helped me so much in getting rid of excess energy... 

Otherwise unsure how long after pwb to full - I went from none ( but was not allowed to WB for 3 months)to whatever I could handle and my body was the guide initially it was painful and I was exhausted -but I am in mid 50s- older than you- and had severely shattered ankle..

i wish you you the best at school this year.

i know this whole ordeal sucks especially when you are use to being active.

• Posted

I'm in agreement with marge. Swimming pools are filthy. Regardless of chemicals in them. You do not want infection,  this injury will be tough enough to get through without adding infectious or secondary  injuries. I had sanitizer in every room. Used it to ensure no cross infections from crutches wheelchair cane. Because you've been cut to the bone the infection could easily get into bone. You do not want that. Go easy don't over push things and get use to resting.   Take care. 

• Posted

You have. Long journey ahead, and won't be easy one. No way should you go swimming it's too soon after surgery, and asking for infection. You can get a full waterproof cover that can be used in pools. If your in the UK they should have leaflets in plaster room. I got one that went just below the knee for nearly to use over my cast so I could shower, but no way could I put it on myself, so it tekes 2 to get it on and off. Hope you can find some form of exercise that keeps you going, but be prepared to rest ice and elevate as much as possible. Good luck. Sx

• Posted

You got your replies .  I'm sorry you're going through this!  It has been mentally challenging as well as physically .  I gained weight this summer because I had to sit and elevate .  Sucks!  

• Posted

I had ankle replacement surgery a year and a half ago. It is hard and takes patience to recover. I had to be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and once I could put some pressure on it and incisions were healing well, about eight weeks I asked if I could start walking in pool. He said to take the boot off and gently start walking only at first.  After he took more X-rays at 9 weeks he cleared me to begin swimming slowly without boot, but still walking with boot. The combination of swimming and regular physical therapy and some acupuncture was very helpful in my healing process. I am finally back to playing doubles tennis and it feels good. Don't push it too fast but know that you will get back to what you like to do in time.

• Posted

Well I hate to say this to you but I am weak 16 after my surgery for my ankle. I have four screws and one plate in my ankle and was involved in a severe car accident. I just started bearing wait three weeks ago. I know it is very difficult to not be able to do the things  you are used to doing but you need to just relax and take it slow and listen to your doctor. You do not want to rush this process and injure yourself more. For now I would not attempt to go swimming and I know you cannot put the boat in a pool.  While I was nonweightbearing the things I  did to help my ankle was due circular motions with my foot and I would also write the alphabet with my foot while I was in a hot bath tub.  Please take your time with your recovery so you do not injure yourself more I am sorry for the pain that you're going through but I wish you well ! 😇🙏🏼😇🙏🏼

• Posted

hi.

4.5 weeks since orif with tightrope. am in an aircast since then.. next xray is Oct 7.

my surgeon did say not to swim, but my upper body got really sore (old shoulder bursitis and rotatorcuff stuff). so once my wounds were really healed (24 days old), I bumwalked (bootless) over to and into the pool ... just to feel weightless.. bouncing around on my good leg. twisting my core. moving my arms. felt so good.

the second day I carefully put a pool buoy between my knees (ensuring that my legs would be still) and slowly did some laps... in the physio lane.

have been a few more times since... I move slowly. I have tons of space. it is keeping me from going down the drain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.