2 weeks post op after surgery for broken ankle...what to expect

Posted , 15 users are following.

So 2 weeks ago I was carrying my 3 month old and going outside. I stepped on some uneven ground and fell, breaking my ankle in 3 places and also dislocated it. I had surgery the next morning and have had it in a cast since then elevating it always unless I go to the bathroom. However it still aches and I get some shooting pains in the side of my foot. I am only taking Tylenol now and have my first post op appt tomorrow. They'll be taking my cast off and removing my staples and doing xrays. Will i have another cast put on? I'm also terrified it's going to be incredibly painful...anyone have advice?

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello all, not sure if anyone is still on this post, but it's so hard to find current threads. 

I am 2-weeks post op and had my stitches removed; gosh was that painful! My surgeon said things are looking good, and put me in a boot. At first I was very excited, but now I'm a little scared of this. I'm soooooo afraid to take the boot off while resting or for taking a shower. 

Anyone have any advice. I'm also really grossed out by the incisions. I'm a bit of a whimp.  

• Posted

Wow. In a boot 2weeks after surgery, lucky you. I didn't go into my boot till about week 8/9 after my surgery. But sound yr on the run to great recovery. It is a bit nervous once the boot is off while resting and showering, it feels empty if you. Know what I mean. Because you have no support there. If you've been given the OK to fully weight bare then just take it easy. I still didn't feel safe to stand in shower so carried on use my bath bench for a while, now I stand in there, but stay bit nervous. Try wearing compression sock while you are sitting around, as this gives you a sense of security. Plus it hides the horrible incisions. Make sure you cream your foot and incisions as it helps to keep it all nice and supple. Bio oil is good... Keep us informed how you get on. Good luck. Sx

• Posted

Hi Shelley,

I get it. I got my boot 2 weeks post op too and was terrified!!! I'm now 6 weeks post op and only wear the boot to go outside and it promptly comes off when I'm out there. If I don't go anywhere for a few days then my boot just gathers dust lol I don't sleep with it or shower with it anymore either. I was like you at first. I started with just undoing it and leaving it open while i elevated it. One day I got curious and summoned the courage and took my foot out. I started physio in week 3 (non weight bearing, Just range of motion) and can now move my ankle at about 90% of pre surgery.

My best advice? Take your time. If you aren't comfortable taking the boot off-dont. Only do what you are ok with. It can take time to feel confident. But you'll get there.

• Posted

I was in boot two weeks post op but couldn't wear it without crying the boot rubbing on nerve damage Was blooming cruel. Ditched it at 3 1/3 weeks post op. As told bone good. Oh showering is soo good. But I'm glad nobody got to see me getting in or out. But at over 4 1/2 months I'm still afraid of many things and I'm not normally a wimp. This is a terribl injury. I never thought I'd feel so useless but this did it. 

• Posted

this post is very old but i broke my ankle 2 weeks ago, had surgery a week ago (a plate and screws) and now i’m waiting for the staples to be taken out. i also fell over with my baby. 7 month old. i protected her by hurting myself. i’m very scared to get it changed and the staples out 😩 

• Posted

Don't be scared. You've been through childbirth, you can take anything! It will sting when they take the staples out, I'm not gonna lie. But it's quick. I also had plate and screws (11 weeks ago) Make sure they wrap your ankle in an ace bandage before they put the boot on, and wear an ace every day you wear the boot, weight bearing or not. It will protect your incision areas, which will be tender for awhile, from rubbing on the boot. I am walking in shoes now and its all slow going, but you will get there. Each stage has its challenges but they WILL pass(, even though right now it feels like they won't.)

• Posted

Tahlia. Firstly I love your name. My granddaughter is a Tahlia  the family princess. An as for staples not as bad as my mind led me to believe. The first one smarted a bit but then it was all over before I knew it.  Now is a good time to order your Even Up Shoe to protect the rest of your bones. Walking uneven in the boot throws your hip back and knees out.  And your a young mom you don’t need any secondary injuries. Xxxxwishing you a healthy recovery. 
    • Posted

Hi, I broke my Talus ankle bone 2 weeks ago today. No operation but 6 weeks NWB and aircast. I have a 9 month old and three older kids. It’s sucks!!!! I’ve got the help but man just laying around it’s not my style!  So your not alone, I get it 
  • Posted

?I'm 6 weeks post trimalleolar  fracture with dislocation.  I see the doctor in 2 weeks for xrays.  fingers crossed healing is occurring.  I feel pretty good, still have swelling if elevated.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.