2 weeks post op swollen at incision site

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I am 3 weeks post op from a severe herniated disc where they did a disectomy. I am still having leg pain numbness and tingling. I decided to try acupuncture this week. Maybe it was to soon. Yesterday I woke up and my incision site is very swollen puffy where the incision is. Should I go in? Is this normal? I am just worried the acupuncture did some damage or something. Any one else event experience this?

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

It seems really soon to do acupuncture after surgery- acupuncture is all about creating circulation and blood flow. During the very early healing process areas your body may swell up in the incision area and perhaps that is normal, but blood flow is typically not what you want with a new wound.

Sometimes after surgery you actually need compression which is the opposite. So it’s possible the acupuncture is too soon. Maybe to be safe you should go in and ask what is the safest measure to take ie ice/compression/elevation/other things you can take/do safely. The first week after surgery- sometimes much more- you typically wouldn’t want to do something like acupuncture as it can create the opposite effect - let us know how things go! Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.