2 weeks post ORIF Surgery - In boot already, when can I drive?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there

Just thought I'd ask for some opinions. Today is 2 weeks since my ORIF for a bimalleolar fracture on my right ankle (my driving ankle in Australia). - ffor the past 2 weeks I have basically been immobile, having my leg up all day long, only going to the bathroom and back straight to my couch all day, trying super hard to let it heal as much as possible I'm healthy and 28 yo

I went for my first check up today at the hospital where they took off the cast and the stitches on both sides of my ankle. They put me in the moon boot and said I can start partial weight bearing as of next week (3rd week post surgery). I was quite surprised, because everything I have read online and forums say you need at least 6 weeks until any weight bearing can be done. 

Has anyone experienced this before?

Also has anyone been in a boot and was able to drive? ie; if you took the boot off while you are driving and then put it back on when you are out of the car....is this something that people have done, or can be done?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

**ALSO eversince half the stitches were taken out this morning, I just feel such a stinging pain - is this normal? what should i take?
    • Posted

Hi Paris

I would certainly say that it’s too early to bear weight and I wouldn’t advise driving so soon since you would need full weight bearing to brake suddenly for instance.  (BTW, everyone drives with their right foot 😀wink

I’m six weeks post op for the same injury and surgery. I’ve been in the boot for four weeks.  I hope to stay partial weight bearing next week if the X-rays show good healing progress. 

Have you had any physio? 

As for the stinging pain after stitches removal, that’s normal and will disappear after a few days. 

Good luck with the recovery but don’t rush it 

• Posted

Thank you so much! I did question that it was way too soon to bare 50% weight bearing so I think I will give it a few more weeks even though the doc said ok for third week post surgery!

When do you start physio? What is the best time frame to start physio?

I was so worried re stinging pain on the stitches after today, because I just hoped the wound isn’t breaking out and infection! 

• Posted

Keep an eye on the wounds. I kept the dressing on for about ten days then let the steri strips wash off in the shower.  I start proper PT this week with a therapist but I’ve been excercising for on my own for a while.  
  • Posted

Hi! Everyone heals differently but in my case with my ORIF talus surgery, I was in PT at 2 weeks post op, I got full weight bearing status at 6 weeks post op and I started driving at I think almost 8 weeks, a few days before it I believe. 8 weeks was when my PT and surgeon said it was okay to start easing back into driving due to potential emergency braking! Hope this helps!! I know it’s so hard. I’m 24 and I’m 3 months post op I thought it was going to be forever till I could drive and be independent but it flew by. Hang in there! And start PT asap!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.