2 weeks post rectocele surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello! I'm a 39 y/o gal (obvioulsly haha) with older kids. I had rectocele surgery exactly two weeks ago. Dr. used dissolvable stitches and no mesh. Here's my question: Dr. said I'd be great in 1-2 weeks and be able to return to work no problem. (I am a barber working 10 hour shifts standing) I figured I'd take two weeks off. I am feeling rectal pressure when standing for an hour, and soreness/ pressure in vagina. I did one friends' haircut yesterday and had to go home and put an ice pack on my bum and lay down. I am taking Advil, milk of magnesia once daily and 2 colace pills a day. I am going #2, but have developed hemorriods. I'm wondering if I should take another week off? Is there something wrong with me that I'm not feeling 100% yet? Thanks for reading!

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear Rene - please take your time! You have had major surgery. Support that recovering pelvic floor, can you cut hair propped on a stool?

Buy a toilet stool for going to the loo, this will take the pressure off your pelvic floor, and avoid constipation at all costs (but also laxative use as this weakens the muscles).

Please take your time...and good luck, and don't be afraid to rest if you feel sore. 

S

• Posted

Thank you. Unfortunately I can barber sitting down. I also work at a salon a couple days and that will be easier physically than the barbershop. Luckily my boss is very understanding.
    • Posted

Just enquiring are you saying that laxative is a bad thing to take? As I have being takein them to avoid putting any strain on myself.
    • Posted

Stephanie is correct. I have mentioned quite a few times about laxatives making the bowel "lazy". It weakens the muscles in the bowel which is why a stool is an excellent idea, not just following prolapse repair either. 

• Posted

The bowel is made up of muscle. If you don't use your muscles or exercise than you can get muscle wastage. If you use laxatives for a time the muscle in the bowel doesn't have to work because the laxatives are doing the work and the nerves stop recognising your bowel is full and stops alerting the brain that you need to defacate (poo). It also prevents the absorption of vitamins. The bowel becomes dependent on the laxatives. A lot of women (myself included) needed laxatives on a daily basis prior to surgery and afterwards until my husband went to B&Q and came home with a stool. There's a whole load of information online about about laxatives and it's overuse.

• Posted

If you put your feet on a stool it puts less strain on your pelvic floor when opening your bowels. 
    • Posted

It more importantly positions the bowel so that the bowel can be emptied. Animals squat to have their bowels opened which is actually the correct position so by raising your feet it does a similar thing.
    • Posted

There are some excellent diagrams online. Try Google
    • Posted

Hi Debbie. I bought a 'squatty' stool from amazon. They're made wide so you have to spread your legs in the footmarks to get the correct position. You can get 4" or 6" height. I'm pre op for rectocele still and having lots of bm problems but it worked first time for me. Previously I'd been using glycerin suppositories to help. They are not advised to use regularly either I don't think.  x rolleyes

• Posted

I'm astounded that the dr thought you'd be fit for work after 2 weeks. I'm now 4 weeks post op and have at least another 3 weeks off work. I have overdone it this morning by being on my feet for an hour and am now in a lot of pain again. If you read the other posts on here you'll see that most of us are having between 8 and 12 weeks off. Prolapse repairs are major surgery and it takes a long time for the body to heal. I would serious consider asking for a sick note for at least another month. You need to really look after yourself to try and prevent a reoccurrence of the problem. This forum is an excellent way of connecting with others in similar situations and at the top of the page you will find links to very useful information. Take care xx 

• Posted

Thank you! I wish I had investigated more. The prolapse was terrible, so I'm glad I got the procedure, but the financial aspect/time off work is not good when I didn't plan for much time off. Ugh

• Posted

Rene, you long term health is so much more important than anything else. Please be very careful. What is 12 weeks in comparison to the rest of your life?

You are still young and may heal much quicker and faster than some of us but the fact that your pelvic floor failed means it is weak and you need to give yourself time to strengthen it. The pelvic floor supports all the pelvic organs and when you are on your feet you are putting down pressure on your wound which is trying to heal so please be careful.

💕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.