2 weeks post THR

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am discouraged after walking outside I have pain and tightness in my hip like before surgery. Do you think I am just impatient. 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes. All the muscles and tendons and ligaments in your hip were cut, stretched and sewn back together.

I was impatient like you. I figured 3 weeks and I'd be pretty good. Not perfect, but mobile in a way.

We all forgot about the physical trauma that our bodies go through with surgery. The anesthesia, the drugs, the stress. Because the healing is inside and involves layers of muscles trying to grow back together and strengthen. Even surgery that isn't as invasive surgery is a difficult recovery.

Keep doing your walks. Some days you'll be able to go a little further, some days you just want to stay in bed. You will have no stamina for a few more weeks and be achy.

It gets better. Slowly.

• Posted

Ok, thank you Canada Hippy, I was worried something was wrong. I will try to be more patient. When I move around in the house I have no pain. The pain comes when I really try to walk for exercise. I guess I am not ready for that yet.
    • Posted

Tup i am at 3 mos pist up and still i can walk 3 miles one day bo cane

The get up from my desk after n hour stiff as all heck

Keep feeling better

• Posted

2 weeks you are in midst of healing and there is often still lot of tightness.  I'm at 4.2 weeks now, walking well but there are plenty of twinges still and still tightens up after walking for over 15 min or by end of the day sometimes.  But can walk well without the crutches.  I was bed ridden with dizziness first 8 days, so bit behind at 2 weeks maybe..at 16 days, I could walk down hall with the one crutch but extremely tight still.  Each day still makes huge difference..

• Posted

I walked a bit further yesterday and now I'm sore in the hip but I think it's more the bruising than the old hip pain. I'm on day 8 now so I'm going to rest today and see if that helps. I do find walking outside a lot harder especially going up and down pavements etc

Just be patient and take it slowly at least that's what I'm telling myself to do 😊

• Posted

I can understand your disappointment Cathy. Lot more stiffness/soreness last couple of days for me -I'm two weeks post op today too.

Don't worry, it's to be expected. I'm trying to keep moving -even a little and often -and it eases during the day then stiffens up early evening.

In that case I've been resting much more of an evening and this morning I've woken with less pain.

Hope this is some reassurance -your body has had a traumatic time. Keep gentling exercising whilst respecting your need to rest.

Keep in touch....

Rob

• Posted

Hi Cathy, 

warm welcome to this wonderful forum of hippies, darling ..

2 weeks post-op is really early in recovery from this major invasive surgery - did you have staples or was your scar glued? 

I had staples both times and they were removed around 2 weeks post-op -

Like you and all of us here, I was so eager to go out and walk outside ... ended up getting frustrated and so disappointed - when I told my physical therapist, I was advised to slow down -- take short walks a couple of times a day rather than a long walk - 

of course, when the pain increases or feels  sharp, call your surgeon and have it checked , okay --- 

one step at a  time wink

big warm hug

and let us know how you are getting on  

renee

• Posted

O Cathy your so early in your recovery what are

you thinking be kind to yourself ,what your feeling is normal in my opinion it's a long road we have

to travel.I'm14 weeks post left hip and every

coming together now WONDERFUL no pain

I listened to someone at work who used to tell

me how good her partner was doing after two

weeks almost doing cart wheels,shouldn't

listen as we're all different I thought I was doing

badly after listening to this person not so.

So I wish you the best and keep healing 😘👍

• Posted

I noticed a big change between weeks 7 & 8. Every week after that gets better and better for me. Everyone is different. If you do something and hurt, just back off a bit. 

• Posted

Yup impatient sorry ! I am coming up to two weeks THR and not been outside yet ! Body is saying not ready yet . Walk about the kitchen with Zimmer and garden, climb stairs with sticks .. That's it plus doing exercises . Two weeks ? You may do yourself some damage !! Rest !

• Posted

We're all different, but I'd be stir crazy not being outside for 2 weeks ! Little and often seems to help me

• Posted

YES!!!

Don't overdue it! If it hurts, stop!

Don't be so hard on yourself! You'll get there but take your time and give you hip some time to heal!

You just had a major surgery so don't push it!

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Cathy, I think we are about the same post-op timing. Had RTHR on Oct 12th. I was just discussing with PT how I'm having pain that feels more like the old arthritis/bone on bone pain/this funky intense pain in my front upper thigh. No where near incision. She said it was "normal". As someone else mentioned, muscles have been pushed and pulled etc. As there is no textbook on THR recuperation - I think we're all having our good days and our what the heck is going days. I've determined this healing process is going to be long, slow and filled with ups and downs and back and forths. No 2 healings are the same - and I think some folks who have already had one THR attest to that with their current rehab being so different from their first. Stay positive and focused. 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.