2 weeks to surgery and boss is scaring me

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am scheduled for surgery on both feet in 2 weeks in Cambridge.  My boss is a neurologist and told me not to do it, that I would have more trouble walking than I do now, that I'll have nerve damage and more. 

I am now more scared than ever. My pain from bunions is limited to long walks (ie, hurts after 30 min). Other than that it's the rubbing in shoes that bother me (I already wear Frankenstein shoes).  i don't suffer beyond that like some.

Any advice? Anyone have surgery in Cambridge?  

Thanks,

Joan

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is so personal, only you can decide. I didn't like the ugly look and I was able to wear only one style of shoes, no heals. I did it only on one right feet, probably do the left one later. My friends, who did it, regret, that they didn't do it early. Keep in mind,people write about bad experience more than about good. I am, so far, lucky.

My doctor didn't like to do both feet at once.

• Posted

It really is a personal decision but based on my own experience of one foot and other comments on this site I would say that you need to be suffering significant pain to go ahead as it is a major procedure when the recovery time is considered.  There are lots of positive outcomes to encourage you though so if your pain is worsening as mine was I decided that best to get it sorted now to get back my walking feet as soon as possible.  My right one is not attractive but as it does not hurt I would never consider getting it done.

My surgery was initially suggested four years ago but I put it off until my children were a bit older to lessen the impact if recovery on the family.

good luck with your decision!

• Posted

thank you, the surgeon said it would get worse, but who really knows...
  • Posted

I can't imagine having both feet done at the same time, I had one toe operated on with the nerve being cut, I will be eleven weeks post op tomorrow and can only wear wide fitting shoes, I'm still limping a bit and still in pain, good luck x
  • Posted

Hi, 

the people who have commented below are right its so personal .. 

Not to scare you at all but i have had a big problem. I had my right foot done and i was find and 2 weeks later i was rushed to hospital with an infection. i have now had 5 operations for my right foot as the infection wouldnt go.. 

i now have so much scar tissue that my nervse dont work properley and i cant walk.. 5 mins down the road and i have to stop. I have now got slipped discs in my back and having to have more surgery..

I have been told that my next operation is a big risk. 

All i am saying is unless you are in a lot of pain think about it. People think its a little operation but it really isnt.. 

I have been told key hold surgury is much better. 

x

• Posted

Hello joan.

As others have mentioned, quite rightly, it is a personal choice whether to go ahead with this surgery.

However, I would not pay the slightest bit of notice to the comments made by your neurologist boss.

I would however, take on board fully, what you have been told and advised by your surgeon/consultant who will be doing this surgery.

I would also advise you to read the many and varied comments on this forum by those of us who have undergone this surgery. These comments may help to allay any fears you may have.

As for not being able to walk properly again after the surgery I would say that whilst the recovery perios for this type of surgery is very long there's no reason why you should be unable to walk properly once all the healing is complete.

Go to the website of the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital and read the document it has prodused entitled ' A Patient's Guide to  Bunions ( Hallux Valgus) and Lesser Toe Deformities'. It gives excellent information about the surgery.

What, I angrily protest, does a neurologist know about bunion surgery? I think this person is just scare-mongering unless they have first hand knowledge and experience of the surgery and have had an unlucky outcome.

Please forgive my frustration and exasperation, but you are clearly in pain and in need of relief from your painful bunions.

Go ahead and get it done but be aware that

you will need to rest with your foot elevated for 50 minutes out of every hour for the first 2 weeks and then after this time continue to rest the elevated foot for many more weeks to come.

You will be given a pain block in your foot which lasts around 24/36 hours immediately following the surgery, and you may require to take paracetamol and ibuprofen for a couple of weeks after that ( I actually had no pain whatsoever, opnly the throbbing if my foot was lowered for too long and this was soon relieved when the foot was elevated)

you may have it heavily bandaged and

there will be swelling of the foot for several weeks post-surgery,

You will more than likely be given a special heel wedge shoe to wear for up to 6/8 weeks and will need to maybe use crutches for a few weeks.

I have had both my severe bunions operated on  -   in November 2013 and October 2014   -  and have so far no complaints and the surgery has gone very well. I am able to enjoy all my pre-op walking activities, gardening etc. and can wear all of my normal shoes although due to the swelling this has to be tackled gently as the swelling can last for a long time ( a few months).

I have no regrets.

Gillian

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

thank you you very much for your very helpful comments. Yes, indeed,what does a neurologist know about this! He is most likely threatened by my absence!  

I did did read the piece you are referring to, which was very useful.  Also, I am already prepared to "live" on the sofa for 2 weeks post-surgery with my feet up.  

I just want to some day wear trainers (which hurt now even wide fit) and walk a mile.  

Also my surgeon left it totally to me, said have the surgery or live with it. But it will get worse according to him. 

It is good to know that it all could go rather well, thank you 

• Posted

I agree with gillian. I had both my bunions done on 23 January. I shall be 6 weeks post op on friday and I'mavery happy lady. Let me tell you I researched this proceedure extensively for months before going ahead with it. I am lucky as I have private insurance. I researched the best (I thought) sugeon to do the job. I also read all the NICE trials reports. This proceedure has a 85% success rate. With another 10% undercorrection and 5% 'problems'. Problems will occur if you don't religiously follow the after care treatment to the letter. You will be out of action for at least 6 weeks and then after that you will progress week by week until you should be back to normal. Well in your case I should imagine a vast improvement. I had one severe bunion and one very small bunion. I decided to get rid of both of them before I got to the special footwear stage. My grandmother had crippling bunions that affected her quality of life. My daughter has a bunion developing and I've advised her to get it dealt with when she gets older. The one piece of advice I would give is to research your surgeon carefully. Make sure he is well qualified and experienced in this field. As for nerve damage? Well I have a nervey tingling sensation on one foot. My surgeon said this is normal and will cease. I also have some numbness that will also go. I had numb areas before the op where the bunion rubbed on my shoe. this has gone. I think your boss is being very unfair to you.  
    • Posted

Thanks Bev, that is very reassuring. And yes my boss is being unfair. But he is missing the filter between his brain and mouth. 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.