2 years after left tkr and not as great as i thought it would be!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi i really appreciated all the advice i had from here after my tkr feb 2016 2 years ago as i was someone who needed physio for ages and struggled with my bend. Anyway it was 2 years in feb and it hasnt been the op i expected! I cant walk my dogs for far and cant stand for long either. My muscles are painful eve when i swim and do stretching and strengthening exercises!! I went back to my surgeon who xrayed it and said it was all im place it was just occasionally they arent successful no matter what. I had op at 49 so am only 51 now but feel like due to my restriction im a lot older!! I need the other knee doing and am in a lot of pain in it but i darednt after the first one!! Any pointers greatly appreciated i am feeling really down!!! Thanks

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear Debbie,

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time with your knee.  I had a pkr in July and am experiencing similar problems.  My Ortho has ordered an MRI on my lumbar to see if there is any damage to nerves from my back down into my knee.  I also have a bone scan to be sure nothing is loose in the knee.  Have you had any of those tests?

i sure hope you are able to find the answers.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Debbie, rehab rehab rehab........ bending the knee at every opportunity after surgery to work through scar tissue is the key.... I had my right knee done 3 years ago and it's been great a few little issues but so much improved ... I am seeing my surgeon today to see about the other knee today.... while the surgery is scary I know the end result is worth it..... no pain no gain 

• Posted

Hi Debbie, rehab rehab rehab........ bending the knee at every opportunity after surgery to work through scar tissue is the key.... I had my right knee done 3 years ago and it's been great a few little issues but so much improved ... I am seeing my surgeon today to see about the other knee today.... while the surgery is scary I know the end result is worth it..... no pain no gain 

• Posted

I think and after discussing with the physio, the way in which knee surgery is done is very invasive, and without the constant exercise to the area to strengthen the tendons and muscles that support the knee postoperatively , everyone  will

Experience pain and discomfort in varing degrees . How we handle it is very  individual..... I hope yours improves with strength and exercise ....

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I had left TKR nearly 3 years ago now and know how you feel.  I struggled in the early days with huge swelling and took ages to get my bend and some of this I put down to my leg being straightened as well.  Although I am now reasonably happy with my knee, it does still feel mechanical and although my bend is now quite good, it does not feel natural and I feel slightly mystified when people tell me their TKR was the best thing they ever did.  Although the surgeon did say at the initial consultation that 80% of people were happy with the result, I did not really take this in or query what happed to the other 20%.

However, I did reach a point when I decided that I needed to accept it how it was and get on with life.   I have since found that small improvements continue, particularly my balance has improved - for a while I could trip over my own shadow, but I can now walk on a sandy beach or over rough grass without fear.  I think we probably have to keep pushing ourselves and do strengthening exercises for ever to keep things moving.

At 71 my expectations and general fitness are probably less than yours at 51 and I am happy to be able to walk 2/3 miles.  Just keep up the exercises (I find a stationary bike is good) and hopefully in time you will find that the muscle pain and stiffness eases and enables you to do what you want.

Good luck

• Posted

Sorry Debbie, you are not happy with the TKR op.

I am much older than you and at nearly 6months post op am feeling much the same.

I try to be positive and think that due to my age etc etc. I am not going to improve much. I walk my dogs now and then on two crutches and very slowly. I have a big garden so thankfully my dogs are ok staying put. I can walk around garden/ house without sticks once I am up and stretched but with a fairly painful limp and get tired quickly. Hoping it will improve over time.

Try swimming but make sure your pool has a hoist to lift you out. Luckily I started going when an 94yr lady swims and needs to be hoisted into and out of the pool. I can get in ok but not out much to my embarrassment, but the pool staff are amazingly helpful. I think it is helping me as I can't even manage a stationary bike.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.