2 years after ORIF

Posted , 7 users are following.

Afternoon everyone.

Haven't posted in awhile, and I apologize in advance if I sound whiny or anything like that. As we all have our own problems and different things going on.

I had an ORIF done on my medial malleolous just over 2 years ago. I had a screw put in to fix a non-union.

Since surgery, I still have problems with walking, I can barely run, I constantly feel a locking feeling in my surgical site and in the Achilles tendon, where I have to stop what I am doing and crack and pop it loose again as well a numerous other problems.

What I am wondering, is if the good people on this site think it is worth trying to see another orthopedic surgeon? I'm at the point where i don't want to take pills my whole life for pain and maybe find out if anything else can be done to help this ankle of mine.

Thanks for reading this and any advice it help you may have!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Its was 2 years on 1/12/19 since my surgery.

I started swimming about six weeks ago. And about four weeks ago I noticed no more swelling!!! My entire leg used to swell when I stood too long on my injured ankle.

My plate and screws do feel funny when I am swimming. I’m assuming that is normal. I don’t know if I should go back to the doctor and have them taken out. Good luck !!!

I have not been back to my doctor in over a year.

• Posted

I'm a little over a year out. 9 screws a plate. I can walk with a slight limp, problem is I feel like I have a boulder in my ankle, and it's numb to a degree on the outside. I'm so swollen just from simple things like grocery shopping, its so puffed up it's as if there's a rubber band around my ankle cutting the circulation. Saying my surgeon was a freak is putting it kindly, his reviews are horrible. I had to wait 2 weeks for surgery for some swelling to diminish, and then he would not give me painkillers after. I found a surgeon to follow my care thereafter. Anyhow, I'm calling Monday, I do not feel it should feel like this. I want some new pictures. Yes, I would go find a doc, a set of fresh eyes and opinions can't hurt. I still need Ibuprofen 800 2x a day, can't imagine that's fabulous for my body.

• Posted

Hi

yes i think a second opinion would be a good idea . im 5months in on Ankle surgery and still cant walk anywhere normally even though i have followed every part of my healing plan . Running is absolutely impossible . I am going to talk to my GP about maybe MRI to see if anything else is going on as alot of people seem to be completely ok after 3/4 months dont know why its taking me so long to recover so i feel your frustration . Good Luck

• Posted

Hi I think you should get a second opinion and see how it goes. May I ask what pain killers you take. Thanks in advance

• Posted

hello.

I was on prescribed diclofenac as the doctor said that was easier on my stomach. but also have 30 mg of tylenol t3(codeine) so nothing terrible, but I'm a person who hates taking meds lol.

• Posted

I had my ORIF in August 2018. I am still limping, and every step is painful. I can feel the metal every day. I believe I will feel this way forever. I am trying to get "used" to the pain.

BUT this accident happened as I turned 50, so maybe age is a factor.

But I think I am f****d forever - if only I had a time machine. Why did I have to get up to pee that night???!!!!

Missy

• Posted

Hi i feel your frustration i too am now 5 months after surgery and still in discomfort i was a post lady before this accident and am still unable to go back to work . Im grateful i can do so much more than a few months ago however i feel that this is how im also going to be and its really hard to accept . Im 55years the thought of having to find another job is a massive issue for me .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.