2 Years of Chest Pain and I've Had Enough of It

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I'm a 17 year old male. Perfectly healthy (as I'm told) no medical conditions, non smoker.

I've had aggravating chest pains and shortness of breath for 2 years now and it is driving me crazy and distracting me from important things.

It started in 2016. I randomly got the pain and just general feeling of unwellness and impending doom while I was in bed. It was strange and I had never experienced anything like it before. I thought I would sleep it off but the chest pains and shortness of breath continued the next day right when I woke up so I was taken to the doctor. Doc says its probably just a panic attack and sent me back home. Couple of days passed and while I was outside I started feeling really weak. I went inside to sit down and I legitimately could not stand up without passing out. I went to the ER (Or A&E as you guys call it) They tested me for some things and hooked me up to fluids. I got a chest X-Ray, blood test, EKG. All of the results were normal except my potassium was low and I was dehydrated. So I went back home.

Went back to Doc a few days later. He wanted to order me a 24 hour Holter EKG to wear. Did that, results came back normal. I'm still having pains and all of that so they order me an echocardiogram. That came back normal too. At this point doctors are blaming anxiety and they give me 20mg fluoxetine. After hearing that the echo was normal I was relieved and my symptoms gradually went away and were gone for a few months. Then a few months later theyre back suddenly. No idea why I wasnt even thinking of it. It started to spread to my back eventually which hurt. I went back to cardiologist who ordered a stress test EKG and a Pulmonary Functions Test for my shortness of breath, and another chest x-ray. Both are normal. They all gave up on me.

Through the rest of the year in 2017 the symptoms persisted until August they eventually wore off until recently now, they're back. I can't keep getting tested because they'll just keep coming back normal. At this point, I want the tests to come back positive so I can get whatever it is fixed.

Here's a description of my pain.

Mild to moderate, mostly left side chest pain. Feels like a dull pain. Spreads to right side often and to the upper left back. Lasts an average of 30 minutes to an hour or 2. Doesnt get worse with exercise. Happens spontaneously; very random. Pain has not gotten any better or worse.

Shortness of breath is moderate. Sometimes is accompanies the chest pain sometimes it doesnt. Lasts as long as the chest pain does typically.

If anyone has comments or suggestions to help me I appreciate it, although theres not much more I can do at this point.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.