2 years of lightheadedness and dizziness

Posted , 10 users are following.

As a child I suffered from vertigo and motion sickness, but as i grew into my teenage years it sorta calmed down a bit, had it once or twice but would just sleep it off, as I hit my 20's it started up again which caused me to develop anxiety. But again it calmed down for a few years until Nov 2013, i got sick with a stomach bug but felt extremelyyyy lightheaded, i couldnt understand what was going on so i went to a Doc who told ne it was the virus and it was going to get better as soon as i felt better, but days, weeks and months went by and still the same lightheaded feeling, unbalanced and felt sorta dizzy. almost 2 years later and seeing sooo many doctors, i was diagnosed with Vestibular Neuritis. I had sooo many tests done, MRI, Cardiologist and ents who couldn't figure it out. Now im doing vestibular therapy every week or 2 but still feel this lightheaded feeling. Some weeks its better than others but it spikes ny anxiety because sometimes i still don't believe the doctors and feel like something is terribly wrong .. Am i the only one who feels like kife isn't the sane anymore, i have a 3 year old who keeps me going but there are days where i feel like i cant even walk of how bad this feels, i just want to know am i the only one who CONSTANTLY day after day gets these flushes in my head or feel dizzy and lightheaded ALL THE TIME????

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi jazz have you asked your doctor to send you for a MENIERES Disease test I suffered this about 30plus years ago told it was virus got me so bad I have spent 3days in bed crawling to bathroom on my hands and knees finally I got referred to a ENT consultant and bingo the answer to my illness but I must say when you get heavy cold sinus infection it upsets it my drugs for it are beta hoisting chloride 8mg 4x day just give it a try 
  • Posted

I dont think anything triggers it , i have had it since jan 2014 when i was stood at top of some stairs and felt dizzy but laughed about it, since then i have been referred to ENT  after lengthy waits , thinking it will go away but feel its getting worse, I am like others i do not believe the drs know about it dont know what to do with us, I am now with the physiotherapists having eye exercises.  I cannot go shopping on my own as i have become anxious , nervous ( which before i was confident ) i am now on anti depressants as i am crying because i cannot manage to go out shopping and browse like i used to, My whole life has turned upside down. I cannot drive at night as i have been diagnosed with disequilibrium resulting from nerve damage from the vertigo.  I am finding it hard to get the doc to keep signing me as sick, is anyone else off work claiming sick for this. oh i am in the UK.  I am 53 years old and female.  Why cant it just go away !!!!!  i have been told is classed as a disability and will have to learn to live with it.....great
    • Posted

Sue, im so sorry you have to go through this as well!. When mines started i got laid off of work and was unemployed for about 6 months, i was grateful because i needed it at the time, just like you i stopped doing everything, literally. I was always afraid that something was going to happen to me. I am very active in my church and one of the nuns was a therapisy who ive known for years, i started meeting with her every week and it helped ALOT. I am grateful to God for her. I suggest you see a therapist just to talk about it. Believe me i felt the saaame way, now im working, going out, even went on vacation twice since December. I know its hard because anything triggers it and inhave my bad days (REALLY BAD ) i think we learn how to cope with it. But it does get a little better after a while, i also suggest you see an ENT doctor and start Vestibular therapy, it might not work right away, but give it time. I still have my days where i feel like im literally going to drop dead but i just pray on it. Hope you feel better and keep me posted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.