2 years post-bunionectomy - ongoing foot problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a hammer toe correction (second toe) and bunionectomy two and a bit years ago. I was born with bent big toes and after 35 years had reached the point of developing hammer toe and suffering a lot of joint pain on the right foot. 6 weeks post-op I found I couldn't control the top joint of my big toe, i.e. curl the toe. I mentioned it to the surgeon who said it was most likely nerve compression and I was discharged. It wasn't nerve compression. The upper surface of my toe is fairly numb and I can't control the top joint of my toe at all, so it doesn't provide pressure when I walk. Consequently weight is going on the ball of my foot, the soft part beneath the toe, and the little toe/edge of my foot, and this is becoming problematic. The ball of my foot has become swollen, like walking on a ping pong ball, and the edge of my foot hurts continuously. Add to this that the joint still hurts pretty much as it did prior to surgery and you may guess I'm not very happy. The only good bit is not having a hammer toe anymore.

I'm five months into a waiting list for orthotics with no idea how much longer it will be (recent letter said they were meeting to discuss the length of the waiting list so no time soon I'm sure). I'm wondering if this problem is going to be improved with orthotics or whether realistically I'm looking at more surgery, and either way what sort of treatments might be on offer.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Did you receive physical therapy ater your surgery? That might be a good treatment option for you. I'm in physical therapy now for different foot issues and I find it helpful. 

• Posted

Not really but I don't think physio would help being able to control it at all. The joint moves fine if I push it with my fingers. There is clearly no nerve connection there at all. It's generally colder than the rest of my foot. I am so sick of bashing it and it bumping on shoes because it doesn't move.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.