2 years post op next week.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I will be 2 years post op for A&P repairs next week, so wanted to update my regular posts.

I am still down no my 2 x 5 hours shifts on checkouts but still not able to cope with overtime or the 2 hours travel each way so still dependent on my hubby to drive me back and forth.

Swimming about once a week (most weeks if I can afford it); doing about 14 lengths of a 25 metre pool. Also keeping up with short walks (20-30 mins) most days (depending on weather).

Can cope with light household tasks but still can't lift anything to heavy or do any heavy spring cleaning. I do small chunks then rest in between to avoid overdoing things.  

Still get that awful painful dragging in the lower pelvic floor at back and nippy scar tissue around vag... opening when I accidentally attempt to lift anything to heavy or stay on my feet for prolonged periods.

Cycling and gardening now completely a no go area.

Having problems at work again; they change the section leaders now and again who are clueless when it comes to prolapse issues. 

We got more new chairs which have no pelvic floor support at all and they are so bad that they cause problems with back, neck , shoulders and legs. Everyone is complaining and it's like musical chairs trying to get one of the older three seats. 

Anyway had trouble over a few weeks trying to secure a good supporting seat which ended in a really bad shift about 3 weeks ago.

Started on my feet on self scan, and hybrids, finally got a seat but unfortunately couldn't sit on it (one of the new ones, more painful to sit on), had my own break(15 mins), covered 2 breaks where seats weren't too bad. Finally said I had been on my feet too long and  need a decent seat. Section leader actually snapped at me, not a nice experience, she did however swap the chair with one of the good ones while someone else was in their break ( know doubt I'll be the bad one for taking someone else's chair) , this will only cause bad feelings and tension. I was in terrible pain otherwise would not have complained. 

Since then I was off in a weeks holiday and went to see GO who has confirmed that my front wall has slightly prospered again; devastated! Been so very careful throughout this recovery. Anyway she has put in a fit for work line to reinforce the - able to work with appropriate adjustments- where proper supporting chair available and not to be on my feet for prolonged period of time.

They may come back with unable to provide this, she advised staying and trying to work with them as no matter where I go could still have problems elsewhere trying to secure good supporting seat.

Back last Monday, straight onto bad seat, eventually managed to get good seat only because one of the young boys was leaving his checkout to go to other department and I managed to swap round chairs. 

Off today as I had holidays to use up, but dreading next week. Worried that if this situation goes on prolapse will sag more and with all the scar tissue problems may not be able to fix in future!

Fed up, slight pain all the time now around vag... opening think the sagging wall is pulling on scar tissue. Still doing pelvic floor exercises about 15 or 20 of each (quick and long hold) 2 or 3 times a day, but has felt  increasingly weaker since regularly being on bad seats and especially since that bad shift.

So peeved off, life hard enough without taking a step back.

Anyway, hope you are all doing well and progressing with your recovery and that those of you awaiting surgery get your dates soon.

Take care, 

Try to find a more sedate lifestyle that protects your repairs while still keeping fit.

Phyl x

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Meant to say GP who confirmed prolapsed again.
  • Posted

Hi Phyl,

Sorry to hear you are still having some problems.

Do you work at one of the big supermarkets? You would think in this day and age they would more proactive with health & safety etc. I know it must be draining having an almost continual battle with them over this but I agree you should try & stay there unless you can find something closer to home. Could you speak to someone in HR at their head office as I think they are obliged to provide comfortable chairs that give proper support to their employees. 

💐 xx

• Posted

You are right there is a care policy but like everything else gov... can legislate but can't force implementation.

Spoke to one of our managers who said she can ask for better chairs but to quote her ' who knows what we will get' the last twice they sent chairs the chairs have been worse  'all about budgets ' .

As my GP said they may, to quote her ' say that they can't accommodate'. You would expect that a large supermarket can afford decent supporting chairs.

Even the young ones who do extra long shifts much of the time complain about the seats and often never get a chance of a decent seat (starting various problems early in life).

It's such a worry as I don't want to have to go through anymore surgery and doubt if they can pull the walls any tighter, the sagging bit low down at front is pulling on tight scar tissue, as it is which is painful enough.

Don't see how they could fix this if it gets any worse. I had thought that the front repair was safe, that if anything was too tightly done and that was why I was feeling nippy when on my feet too long and walls naturally subject to gravity.  

GP did agree that repair itself seemed strong, but their was a slight prolapse again, must be a different part of the wall starting to sag. 

It's my long term health and outcomes that I'm really worried about. Feel so cheated as been so very careful in every other aspect of my life.

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi Phyl,

I think we both had our repairs done about the same time. Mine was the beginning of April.

I'm also having a lot of problems. What an awful situation at work for you. I know you've been trying to sort it out for such a long time.

I couldn't go out to work if I wanted to. Can't sit for very long, awful burning pain, had two lots of injections for nerve pain that haven't wotked. I know what you mean about the scar tissue, mine split at the back several times. Been to see gynae, who said he didn't want to reconstruct as it would probably make the scar worse, and it might not heal properly. My posterior prolapse came back within a few weeks and now have a small cystocele as well as VA, and pudendal damage.

Like you have been so careful. It's hard to know what to do isn't it? Would you be able to give up work or maybe get an easier job? But there again, when like me it hurts when you stand for long, you're limited in what you can do. We go through these procedures hoping got the best, and it's so disheartening when it leaves you worse. It's the rest of our lives, we have to just somehow get on with it..xxx

• Posted

Hi Laura, 

So sorry to hear that you are also still having long term problems. 

My hubby has pituitary tumour and still struggling with meds just now so already not making nearly enough as it is so will have to struggle on.

Spoke to one and only female manager about changing to an evening shift where I would maybe have a better chance of securing a good seat, or dropping the Monday shift all together and just keeping my Sunday going (I'm in early on Sundays and therefore get a choice of seat).

It's a thought, we all like routine, anyway she said that she was going to get it sorted. 

I feel like such a nuisance , the lame duck of the team and it's unfair on others if I always get a good chair when others may have problems too. Time I was put to pasture 😂😂😂 x

• Posted

Phyl

are you in the UK? If so there are a couple if things you can do:

Speak to your health and safety rep and ask them to do a risk assessment with regards to your chair

Get an access to work assessment (you’ll find details on the gov.uk website).They will assess you and provide you with the tools you need to be able to do your job safely and comfortably. The company will HAVE TO follow their recommendations.

i have a specific chair just for my needs and also have a memory foam coxyx cut out wedge that fits it as 8 have Back problems as well as my recent surgery ( had laparoscopic anterior/posterior repair October 2016 and vaginal repairs in October 2017).

• Posted

Thank you Tannerbird, I will look into that, GP is going to keep an eye on pelvic floor so will bring this up, but you know employers have far too much power now and tend to get away with lots that they shouldn't. It will probably get worse once we are out of Europe too!

Anyway thank again will look all this up!

• Posted

Dreading going in for my Monday shift, no one but me seems to care about my pelvic floor. Impossiable to secure a supporting seat to prevent further collapse of my pelvic walls. Have a dependent teen, already struggling financially. Hubby got a pituitary tumour and not doing well on meds...

What to do, been trying to get a hold of people manager during breaks or beg/end of shifts. Then off on weeks holiday so now wrote letter with GP fitness note enclosed can't really explain the same just on paper. But really need to get my fitness note in.

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi Phyl,

I wonder if your GP’s secretary could do a letter that you could take in to work that explains your needs?  Having something in writing from a medical person (physio maybe?) would strengthen your case.  Do you have a union rep that could help you?  They really need to take this seriously, a new chair would cost a lot less than negative Press!! I feel so sorry for you Phyl. 

Xx

• Posted

Hi Phyl, you are having an awful time at the moment arent you. Maybe if not already, your hubby coukd claim benefits and you could also claim as his carer. Its something to look into, because honestly you arent fit to work as you are, youre just going to make your condition worse and the mental stress on you must be dreadful. Look up any state benefits one or both of you could claim, supported  esa is one, it might save your sanity.x.
    • Posted

Hi imnotadoctor,

The fit for work form from my doctor states that I am not to be on my feet for prolonged periods and that I need a good supporting seat. Problem is ' prolonged periods' can be open to interpretation. 

I never joined the union always felt their powers have been so eroded over the last 40 years, and unless your in one of the largest unions such as teachers/NHS then they don't hold much sway.

Started with a bad chair (for the first hour) today but one of my colleagues (Taz, who gets a good chair first thing in morning; she has had surgery in her neck so needs good support) swapped chairs with me a little while before she was due to finish to try and make sure I got her seat. 

Taz has been a great support to me and always tries to ensure I get her seat; I would have been at this point weeks ago if It had not been for her support and help which I really appreciate.

So today not to bad, the problem though is I can't stand up once an hour for 5/10 mins or else someone else tries to take the chair. It's a ridiculous situation which causes resentment. 

I would apply to release some equity from the value of our home so I could retire early but my hubby is not for it at all. 

Just feel that going to work should not result in further prolapse; and so fed up having to spend days in recovery after my shifts, just doesn't seem right.

Thanks for being a listening ear, much appreciated.

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi Laura, 

My hubby refuses to claim benefits, he reckons he wouldn't get anything and he keeps insisting that he will be fine shortly; don't really know how long will take to shrink his turlough and balance his hormones.   

Awaiting MRI results and adrenal/testosterone and prolactin test results. He says he is my carer as he has to manage all the heavy jobs around the house and has to cope while I recover from my shifts. But when he takes his once z week cabergoline it knocks him out for a few days and then I have to cope and catch up with all the lighter jobs.

Benefits are not something I have considered; think I would have to be in a wheel chair before considering that path. 

I am able and willing to work as long advice I get a good supporting chair and am able to do my job with a good supporting chair. 

You are right though getting really difficult to keep my chin up these days I know I have always tried to be positive but the whole situation getting me down  as time goes on and I am able to do less and less.

My hubby should eventually turn the corner they reckon the cabergoline works well. Once he picks up and gets back on his feet and may be able to cut back to just the Sunday shift which just now has been going well.

Thank you for your input I will keep in mind your suggestions as I may have to consider this path further down the line.

Phyl x

• Posted

No, I don’t think anyone wants to go down that route, but disability benefits are there for a reason. I’m retired, but still work from home. Lucky that I can, and enjoy the work. But then I get to choose the chairs!

I hope your husband gets his meds sorted, and you can take it a bit easier. You sound so fed up.xxx

• Posted

Just to update situation. Handed in my GP fit for work note with comments (not to be on my feet for prolonged periods and the need for a supportive chair), along with letter asking if I could drop the Monday shift if they can't guarantee a seat with support as my front wall had collapsed slightly due to being on my feet for too long and hand no wish till take further risk of it coming down further.

My people manager got back to me; he is not allowed to give me less that 8 hours a week. So I asked could I change my shift from Monday where it's almost impossiable to get a good supporting seat to maybe an evening where most seats are available and they now do keep at least one till open until closing. 

Anyway he said that they were looking for someone for the Monday evening  shift; so going to look at rota and see what they can do. 

Hubby not too happy, if his tor gets bigger or leans anywhere near his optic nerve (it doesn't at moment) could cause problems with peripheral vision and could loose licence(I don't drive, not specially aware) so I would not be able to malfunction my way to either of my shifts. Another possible problem is it would mean changing my contract and new contract has willingness to work any department or any store which I can't do but last time I discussed this he said my medical notes would be in my file and they would takes these into account. Rally worried about this though feel I'm being cornered now?

Anyway one problem at a time. So the balls in their court now. This Monday straight on a good chair for whole shift, but aware one of the other colleagues cursing about being on bad chair again. Hate working in this environment. Colleague who does rota on holiday. Just feel like I'm being an nuisance.

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi Phyl,

You really are not being a nuisance! All you want is to be able to continue working and to do that you need to be comfortable. For the price of a new chair you’d think they would sort it out. I think it’s disgraceful that they still haven’t dealt with this. If others also find the chair(s) uncomfortable perhaps you could all sign a letter complaining about it? Don’t let them get you down. Xx

• Posted

Hi lmnotadoctor,

The problem is that if they have others in need of a seat that maybe have problems with back , feet or neck who cover lots of the overtime shifts they will get priority as they need them to cover extra shifts and don't want them going on the sick. 

But it's not Management to blame it's a decision that our section leaders make as to who sits where and it's them who have to get the shifts covered so they will give the good seats to colleagues who agree to cover the shifts do pretty sure that's why I often end up without a good supporting seat and it's humiliating and embarrassing if and when I'm forced to have to announce publicly about my pelvic floor problems (only one female manager who isn't always on same shifts as me so have to complain on shop floor to section leader who has even less medical knowledge.

Anyway not too bad Monday past so will see how it goes, having said that pelvic floor definitely feels like it's on its way down again so haven't recovered properly from that shift a few weeks ago and am definitely limited much more to how much I can do and how long I can spend on my feet again, getting that sore irritated achy dull pain within and around the pelvic floor and needing to use the toilet more often and almost as if I'm getting an infection but know I'm not it's just the irritation of the sagging walls parting the vaginal lips.

Just feel I can't do this again, had enough of employees who don't give a .... about their employees until there is a threat that it might cost them money!

Anyway just have to soldier on.  On a positive note my hubby got word today that his recent MRI results are positive and show his tumour is shrinking, and his recent blood results show that prolactin levels are suppressed, and his bodies natural steroids are normal, he is low in testosterone but they will discuss st next consultation. His optic nerve still ok too. So all going in right direction thank goodness. 

Looks like going to be end of May before he gets testosterone replacement and not sure his long before it kicks in, going to hate it if by then I'm further prolapsed and I'm out of commission  again 🙁. 

Phyl x

• Posted

That’s wonderful news for your husband,  I’m so pleased for him. 

I completely understand how you feel as my recent op has only partially helped.  I’ve reduced my hours again at work & I realise I’m really lucky to be in a position to do be able to do this.

It might be worth a visit to the GP to get to see if there’s an infection. You’re not alone Phyl, I’m always ready to listen. Best wishes. Xx

• Posted

Thank you imnotadoctor, appreciate the support. If things haven't resolved satisfactorily by mid June GP was talking about possibles going on the sick but don't want that, and by then more damage may be done. Not very helpful really. 

Just have to wait and see if employers going to take it seriously this time and hoping against the odds that my pelvic floor recovers itself, continuing with pelvic floor exercises, scared to go swimming at moment but will have to attempt some sooner rather than later. 

If this goes any further down again I'm finished with employers, they have too much power to avoid respossibilities  and employees don't have enough rights to protect themselves. 

Phyl x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.