2 yrs since TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

It's been well over 2yrs since my TKR, my knee has numbness about the size of the palm if my hand on the outside of my knee that started a coulple if months ago- has anyone else experienced this or other problems this far post op? Also having oain, not excrutiating but uncomfortable.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

l've had that numbness since the beginning but knew that that was to be expected, since they cut the major nerve that goes from the inside of the thigh, over the knee, to the outside of the leg. I also have had pain since the beginning. Sharp electric shocks on one side and dull pain on the other, the numb side. it's been almost 19 months for me. I am now going to a pain management clinic. I'm on gabapentin for nerve pain. only 2 weeks, but I don't feel any relief. there's no rhyme or reason for when I get the pain.

• Posted

My results are called "CRPS", Complex regional pain syndrome. A neuritis from surgical trauma. I had a shot in my spine a few weeks ago, with no results. Actually, it's worse than ever. May need 1 or 2 more shots, but really need something to bring relief.

• Posted

Hi I'm just over 2yrs post op TKR. I have numbness on front & side of my knee which I've had since op. I've also got like a tight band feeling round knee which gives me trouble going up & down stairs & up & down hills. Had alot of pain & swelling bout this time last Yr & ended bk in hosp thro A&E. Consultant at 1st tght was an infection & did various tests but all came bk negative. Its better now thank goodness. Consultant tght I'd poss pulled a tendon which caused a bleed. Mayb you've pulled something but to a lesser extent. Try resting it a bit & if it carries on go see ur Dr.

• Posted

Hi to Monkey of 3 grands,

Well I am about the same time wise as you . I had mine done just over two years ago.After I had first had it done the whole of the outside of my knee was numb, and gradually over the time the feeling has come back slightly but have got to say its still numb in parts. I think,.. its where the tendons havent knitted back into place myself.

The pain that you are getting is just probably either overuse, without building up to it. I still get swelling and my knee still gets hot at times, particularly if I overdo it.

My advice is to massage it well with ibuprofen gel regularly, dont be afraid to work on it quite hard, and your leg will feel a whole lot easier afterwards.

This knee replacement is so difficult to understand because everyone hasnt different outcomes and suffer different experiences.

Hope you get a little bit of relief soon, but I dont think its anything to worry about.

Thanks Dawn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.