20 mgs for 8 weeks.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! First time posting here. Its a little long so i apologize in advance. I have been on citalopram 10mgs since 2012 and it worked well for me. Well fast forward to this year I began to get a little lazy with the medicine. At first taking it every other day and then by April taking it maybe 2 times a week. I had felt so good for so long I thought my anxiety was completely gone. All of a sudden in AUGUST it hit me like a ton of bricks. My anxiety was back full force. So I began taking my medicine again everyday and then went back to my doc at she upped the dose to 20mg and have been on that for 8 weeks now. I had all the side effects but started feeling great after 5-6 weeks. But over the weekend I can feel the anxiety creep back up a little and the worrying thoughts about silly things. Is it normal to have a setback after 8 weeks? Im sure i threw everything out of whack since i was taking the pills so irreguarley. Im just a little freaked out that im having anxiety return after feeling so well. Just looking for other peoples thoughts on this.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessica, try not to panic (fairly impossible when suffering with anxiety) but this is totally normal. It was exactly the same for me during my recovery. I went totally cold turkey (something I would NEVER do again) and when I restarted my tablets it took at least 12 weeks for things to completely settle. I would have a long spell where I felt normal only to have a blip and convince myself I was back to square one....YOUR'E NOT!! It will settle again, don't fight the anxiety just go with it and try and stay calm if you can, tell yourself its just a blip and it will lift again. We all have setbacks its part of the journey. I've now been on citalopram for 3 years and although I had a major issue with accepting I needed the medication I now know its what I need and if I have to take it forever then so be it. I haven't suffered any major anxiety for around 2 years now! The main thing for me is accepting I need the tablets and discovering meditation. I can't say enough about what meditation has done for me, I'm flying again after 13 years and even have a new job after 17 years, things i never thought possible when my anxiety was so crippling i couldnt leave the house. You WILL get there, have faith and confidence in yourself if this is the first blip in 8 weeks thats a real achievement! KEEP GOING.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. Makes me feel better. Its crazy how quick you start second guessing and start thinking youll fall back to square one. Im just telling myself to stay calm and not fight it. I know it will all fall into place eventually. I just need to have patience.

• Posted

I am going through the same thing. I've been on 10 mg of cit for almost 2 months I felt great for a while I have little blips but they go away. It's normal and all will be ok!

• Posted

Thanks! I just have to remind myself its a blip and it will eventually settle down. I just cant focus on the bad times. I need to remember all the good too!

• Posted

Hey,

I've had this issue too.....just had a great week really and now I feel

it starting to creep in on me again. It's so hard when it does to stay positive!! I'm around 11 weeks now.

• Posted

I agree its very hard to stay positive. Its hard having the ups and downs because when you start feeling it coming back its hard not to freak out and think youre never going to get better. I still have times when i feel good for a while so im taking that as my hope that its still working.

• Posted

Back in the summer, I was in a very good place and decided after well over 10 years of 20mg Citalopram that I would go cold turkey, and come off it. I have had a lot of work pressure over the last few weeks and right out of know where I got smacked to the ground with the most terrible anxiety and depression I have felt. It has been like I am empty of seretonin, with no reserves. I'm feeling so low, tearful, frightened and anxious of what my work future holds, empty inside, desperately in need of hugs and people to protect me, reclusive, just wanting to shut myself away.

I have been starstarted back on Citalopram 20mg, Diazepam, and I'm even taking Omega-3 capsules, all to try to get me back to being the happy, jolly, bubbly person that everyone looks to for support when they need someone. I have gone from the one everyone turns to, which I loved, into the one needing everyone else.

Is this an experience any of you have felt, is this all down to the benefits of Citalopram? I will NEVER stop it again, lifelong. 😐

• Posted

I think that is partly how I got back in the situation im in. I started citalopram back in 2012 and this past year I got really bad taking my pills. I didnt quit cold turkey but I was only taking them like twice a week. After doing that for a few months and going through a few stressful situations my anxiety came back full force. I made an appt with my doctor and she told me to take 20mg everyday instead of the 10 I was taking and make sure I take them everyday. I have been taking them since Aug 6 and it took a few weeks to get rid of the side effects again. I am feeling better than what I was and hoping it only gets better. Ive heard it could take a while to get your system sorted out again. Youll got back to how you were. I think it will just take time. Just know youre not alone.

• Posted

I know that now, and I now know that I do need some SSRI, probably forever.

• Posted

I just, desperately want and need to get my spark back, nothing seems to be helping yet. I know it's early days, as it's only approaching two weeks back on Citalopram, but I really hate feeling so low, as I sure you and others on here can relate to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.