20 weeks post ORIF fibula/ankle surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!  I'm about 5 months out from ORIF fibula surgery.  I had a plate and 8 screws inserted, one of which connects the joint and both bones just above the ankle.  I've been in pain on and off ever since I started weight bearing, which was about 8 weeks following surgery.  The pain radiates around the incision site (backside and frontside of hardware) when I'm sitting still and also in the muscle sometimes when I walk or participate in any physicial activity.  After starting weight bearing, I immediately started PT twice a week, and have most of my range of motion and strength back.  That being said, my question is - is it normal to have pain this far out from surgery?  Has anyone experienced the same thing?  I have my 6-month post op follow up w/ the surgeon on 10/31, and may consider having the hardware removed if the pain doesn't resolve.  Just curious if this is normal or if I have chronic pain permenantly because of surgery.  Thanks for the insight!!  Any reccommendations on what could help are welcome as well!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi rc10223! I broke my ankle 10 weeks ago and was in a cast for 8. My injury still needed mor healing, but the orthopaedic surgeon said to start physiotherapy right away. I was doubtful about this idea not wanting to do further damage. The orthopaedic surgeon told me to follow his instructions, so that is what I am doing. My ankle and calf hurt when I am walking, but in my case; that is to be expected. If there is no improvement after several physiotherapist's appointments, I maybe will be "installed" with plates and screws. Your doctor should be able tell you whether removing the hardware will make a positive difference. As for pain and swelling, I am looking forward to less for both. This is all so frustrating because the doctors don't seem to have any concrete answers. My comment may not be very helpful, but thought I would write to you anyhow. Here is hoping for pain free days!

• Posted

I’m 25 weeks post op this Saturday. I have a plate and 6 screws in my right ankle. I think I broke the same as you. I was in a non weight bearing boot for 9 weeks then walking boot up  until wk 21.  I am in pt twice a wk and have had about 8 sessions or so. I am still walking with a cane at times and I have severe pain in the ankle. Mine is especially along the side with the plate. I hope in time as the muscles come back it goes away. My surgeon said after the first of the year if I’m still in pain he’ll take the hardware out.  My tendons are still very tight and I don’t have full range and motion. I’m grateful to be walking though but the pain is constant. Sorry this wasn’t what you probably wanted to hear. I do massage my ankle quite a bit and that gives it temporary relief. Best wishes to you!
  • Posted

I’m going on 17 weeks post op. Bimalleolar fracture. Just got through with 6 weeks pt. I go back for a check up Nov 8. Lots of swelling and redness. Still can’t walk very well without a crutch. Let us know how your visit goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.