20 weeks post TKR, knee not bending

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, it's now been 20 weeks since my tkr and my ROM is still only 78 deg. I had MUA 11 weeks ago and the surgeon said it was a success and the tight band below the knee disappeared. Within days the stiffness returned. I have done all the exercises and I'm now at my wits end wondering if it will ever improve. I went for my hospital check up 2 weeks ago and the surgeon said keep trying to bend it and he would see me in 6 months! Has anyone else had this problem?

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Patricia,

I had a TKR last June and then had an MUA in August. Pre the MUA my bend was not better than about 85 degrees with a lot of pushing and pain ... it felt like cement! After the MUA, which was successful (the Dr said he got it easily to 125) I continued to work with PT and graduated at the end of October with a bend of 128 ... which I was super pleased with. It is probably a bit less than that now becasue of course you are pushing it whilst going through the physio.  A friend of mine, that I met while at PT, has had the same difficulties as you have - her bend was not very good pre MUA and even tho the Dr told her that it bent well in theatre, she has struggled to get a decent one post ... she was up to 116 at one point but has lost ground and is stuck at around 107 ... she is STILL going to PT to try and improve it - but without a miracle .... doubt it will get much better. Her Dr. will not do a 2nd MUA - mine was willing to take another go at it if I had had lingering bend issues.  It seems like hit and miss with the procedure - for some it works very well (I had a large amount of scar tissue from a previous surgery many years ago - but my friend had never had previous surgery ...but still had scar tissue).  One option that was given to her tho was to have an orthoscopic surgery done to remove the scar tissue ... she is still considering her options.

In terms of pain Post MUA - someone asked ..... The knee itself was fine but I did have quite a lot of pain in the quad aftewards for about 3 weeks ... felt as though I had either run a marathon or done 1 million squats ... or it had been run over by a bus .... after the muscle pain went away .. all was good.

I continue to struggle a bit with strength in the quads due to an injury during surgery to that muscle ... ice and snow doesn't help - but it is getting stronger and I can (mostly) go up and down stairs like a normal person ... I only have to hang on when decending .. (and don't want to spill my wine biggrin ... hope everythign works out well for you ... don't be afraid of the MUA 

Take care,

Donna

• Posted

Hi Donna,

I was one who asked about MUA. (Surgery 11/16/16). I still have some muscles or tendons on the side of my knee that are sore and tender. I also have a feeling like there is something with burrs on it sticking in my knee on one side. That's why I'm afraid to have it done. The arthroscopic surgery sounds like a better way to go. Don't know what to do at this point. I don't feel like it's getting better - the pain or range of motion. I know most everyone on this forum has these feelings. I'm just praying it gets better for all of us.

• Posted

Hi Donna, my MUA wasn't as successful as yours, although the tight band below the knee disappeared afterwards. I have built up the strength in my leg but not the bend. I'm still working it and staying positive with the hope that it will improve. I don't think my surgeon will do another MUA, he doesn't want to see me again until July. This forum is so good to follow people's progress and knowing that I'm not alone. Thank you.
  • Posted

i feel for you ,ive been there its so hard when you do your excersises,it is possible to have another MUA down the road and ive heard it can improve it . mine didnt work out im afraid and a revision was my result ,so believe me you will want to avoid that  unfortunatly sometimes there is no other choice i like you could only get 80 when the physio was nearly sitting on my leg to bend it ,i hope you can get more of a bend soon try a very good physio even if only for a few sessions to get another view but dont keep going for months unless you see an improvement physios are like cash machines if you let them
    • Posted

Hi Linda, thank you for your comments. So sorry to hear you have had so many problems. I will keep doing the exercises, my PT feels the bend will improve. My next hospital appointment is in July so I'm hoping it will be bending more then. I'm not giving up yet!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.