20 year old getting gallbladder removed

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been having stomach issues now for nearly 3 years. I''ve ended up in a.e. where I was told too young for gallstones so must be gastritis/acid reflux. Tablets helped a bit.

had a few flare ups when to doctor and no antacids helped. Was sent for ultrasound and found a few gallstones.

Went in for consultation today and told only option was gallbladder removal as one stones could move at any mintue and get stuck. I asked for an endoscope to rule out acid too but was told the doctor, himself, would have to decide to send me for it.

The main consultant came into talk to me and said she can't force me but the only option is removal or I'll eventually get (jaundice among other serious issues)

I'm so scared. Main worry is dying on the table or not living long after operation. Never had major surgery like this other than tonsils removed but can't remember what it's like to get g.a. or fall asleep.

Anyone have any gallbladder removed? All I've been reading is horror stories i.e. people pooing in pants in public, bile duct knicked and getting liver damage etc.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

You are very young to be going through this, I agree.  However, the consultant was correct.  The procedure for removing gallbladders is usually done by keyhole surgery.  If all goes well, then you're under anesthesia for a minimum amount of time, and at your age, you should heal very quickly. Anesthesia is usually administered via IV.  

It's true that some people suffer difficulties after gallbladder surgery, but that can't be predicted. And keeping a diseased gallbladder in your body can only make things worse. 

So, don't let your fears govern your decision.  You have a long, full life ahead of you!

• Posted

Hi dear, I had also gb removal for more than a year now. Im on my early 30's its young too to have this surgery. Im so scared before when the surgeon told me that no options to get out the gallstone only by surgery. Its my first experience to undergo general anesthesia and had a surgery. The only thing that makes me strong was trust in God and keep praying that I will survive this health crisis. When Im thinking the pain when the gall bladder will attack me its pushing me to do the surgery. Thanks God the surgery went well and Im recovering right now almost back to normal.

Dont be scared, trust God and everything will be ok. Think the consequences if you will not undergo the surgery as the consultant advise. In the long run it will gives many issues in other organs if the gall bladder is already not functioning well or already inflamed.

God bless you

• Posted

Hi, I had my Gaulbladder out about 15 days ago. I also have had problems with my stomache for years never thought anything of it. after many tests the sugeon came in and said I am taking out your Gaulbladder. They do it Laparoscopic now which is so much better. You are young so you should speak with your priamary care doctor. my surgeon told me he has done hundreds of them. I am 61 and wish I had it along time ago as I never felt good after eating. I had not problems. I feel much better. Is there anyone in your family to talk to. maybe they could go with you and talk about your concerns. I know when you have surgery you like to have someone with you. I believe you will feel much better, but I am not a doctor so I wish you luck. Also make sure you eat small portions of food after till you can go back to your regular meals. I was told to eat fat free food as the fried chicken

and things would make your stomache hurt. Do not listen to the horror storys as everyone is different.  Let us know how you make out.

taking out your Gaulbladder at 7:30 am tomorrow. I said what. I never would of thought that was why I was having so many problems. I am 61 and they do it Laparoscopic

• Posted

I worried too. It is going to be just fine. The anaesthesia of today is so advanced and they will monitor you while you are under. You will wake up after without even knowing you had it done!

• Posted

Hello zoo12313..

I will have to agree with everyone... Gallbladder surgery is not only common but technology now is incredible. I am about 16 days post op now, and getting that thing out was the best decision ever. I will admit that re designing your food intake is a must and fat free, no junk food is included in the deal! I corrected my diet 8 weeks before surgery, so I have had ZERO diarrhea, and no constipation. I eat a lot of rew fruits and vegetables, no red meat and no junk food. I was 145 lbs, 2 months before surgery, weighed in at 124.5 lbs day of surgery, today I am holding steady at 125. But I am following the rules for eating properly. I drove my car 2 days after surgery, and was just basically sore for about a week. I took 2 pain pills on day one and day 2 after surgery, then Ibuprophen maybe a couple days after that. I had the keyhole surgery, and it was quick and pretty much pain free. Surgery took maybe 30 to 45 minutes. I arrived at hospital at 7am and I was at home by 10am. There were 3 other surgeries before they got to me. Please don't believe every horror story. But remember, with your gallbladder gone, you have to eat right. It's really not a bad trade off, my weight has never been better. Hope things go well with you. Let us know how you progress.

• Posted

Hi, looking at getting my GB removed next year. I was wondering what kind of diet changes you made before the operation?

Cheers

• Posted

What does the g.a. feel like? Do you get tired and fall asleep or is it quick?

Also, sorry for the questions, but were you okay to walk and everything afterwards some people said they couldn't even walk for two minutes afterward.

• Posted

Hi Diane, I had my GB out 18 days ago after being in the hospital 4 days they took so many tests till they found out what it was and the sugeon said i am taking out your gall bladder tomorrow am. I was scared at the thought as I thought I need it. I am 61 years old but it was fine. the only thing i have a probem with is eating. I do not have a diet of food that i can eat that i like as i always ate what ever i wanted and never really ate right. it is true you can not have fatty foods or you will have diarrhea, he said my GB was horribe. i went back for my post op and my little holes look great. my stomache only hurts if i try something that says 0 fat i never read labels and i got angel food can a can on cnerries both were 0 calerories and i had a stomache ache so bad. i am scare to eat for that reason as it happened more than once. I wish they had a menu for you to take home and see what you like to eat from that. someone should put it in a book. i got the Mayo clinic books and others. i have not had a real meal since surgery. I will say at time I have a pain in my right side that comes and goes. my surgeon told me that if i did not have it out when i did i would of been in so much pain when it was time for it to come out. i went in the er i thought i was having a heart attack and thats where it started i am glad i went in. i want to lose weight, and need to. also i hope no one listens to the horror stories as some people can make it sound like it is alot of pain. to be honest I really did not have that much pain. I slept alot as i was in pain at home 4 three days not knowing what was wrong with me. do you have any suggestions of what i can eat. i grew up on junk food. thanksgiving i had to see all that food i wanted that i could not have. do you get any pain in your right side at all someone sad they had bowel that had packed it their and they had to take stuff to clean it out. i know alot of people say horrer stories. but if you doctor tells you that you need it out listen to them or get a second opinion. Good luck to all of you. Terry
    • Posted

no you only feel sleepy from them putting them to sleep. you will be asleep the wholde time and not know wht happened. and as for me i was up walking up and down the hallway. it is not like in the older days when you had any surgety and they had to cut you arcross. it is really cool hoe they make little holes and take it out. the reason they may have said they could not walk right away as they were tired from the sleeping meds once that wears off. you will be up and walking around. the best of luck to you and please let us know how you make out. just remember to watch what you eat. it will be so much better for your years to come eating healthy foods. 
    • Posted

Hello terry47747..

I am 54 yrs old and the surgeon found that my gallbladder was inflamed AND had attached itself to my stomach ( which happens to be the incision that is right between my ribs ) During surgery, the gallbladder is removed through that particular opening and I was told it would be more sensitive longer. To answer your questions about what to eat, I do stay with all low fat, no junk like pizza or hamburgers, and no sugar (I bought sugar free chocolate, but will only eat one if I just need to have sugar). I did buy a super enzyme capsules from Amazon. It contains Ox Bile and other natural enzymes to aid digestion. I highly recommend it. I also eat pickled beets and fresh fruit Every Single Day! I drink Benefiber 2 to 3 times per day. I have experimented with Milk of Magnesia for indigestion, and it helps. The surgeon and Gastro doctor will NOT write me prescript for digestive enzymes. Their explanation was that they would be lifelong venture, and your body would never learn to digest anything, so, I am constantly experimenting with food and consequences. I believe that this will be a lifelong adventure, much to my dismay. Having my gallbladder gone is teaching me how important good, and wholesome food is. My weight is great because I choose to follow the eating rules. And yes, I have had phantom pains in the right side. Mostly when I eat incorrectly. My liver and pancreas protest when they are forced to digest junk food. Not a good lesson, and I end up cramping all day. I am guessing a dietiion would be the best person to consult. But all people are different, and I think it's all trial-by-error when it comes to foods. Let us know how you are doing. Try your best to keep to wholesome foods, and eating 4-5 times a day (small meals, as not to overload your liver and pancreas). Keep us posted, and keep on trying!

• Posted

Hello zoo,

What I can remember right after surgery, I woke up real fast, as now these days they give you propafol. So it does not have any sleepy kind of lingering effects. I usually have terrible nausea and vomiting, but not with propafol. I did ask for some Zofran, which is an anti-nauseal drug, so when I woke up, I was perfectly fine. The doctor can send you home with a mild pain killer and zofran, if you talk to him/her about it. Like I said, I did drive my daughter to the dentist the very next day, because she lost a crown on her tooth. I drove with a pillow across my stomach, so the seatbelt wouldn't bother me. None of the incisions bothered me. Mostly you are just sore, like you did 1000 stomach crunches, and woke up the next day really sore. I ate a little thanksgiving dinner on day 3. Mostly all vegetables and a tiny bit of turkey. By day 4 I was out and about. Just got a little tired if I walked too many hours. I had zero pain after day one, just sore. The doctor sent me home with hydromorphone. I took one when I got home. One the next day. Then for 3 days I used Ibuprophen. I took one per day just to knock off the soreness. Day 4, I helped my daughter clean stalls, but did not Lift anything over 10 pounds per doctor instructions. I drove about everyday since day 2. They tell you not too, but I am widowed, so I had  to get normal everyday things done. I am 54 yrs old, so I imagine you will be up and about sooner. It was one of the easiest surgeries I have had. I was really afraid since I was much older and thought maybe I wouldn't be able to get around, but I was wrong. I was 10 days post op and rode my daughters horse. Don't tell my doctor! Let us know how you do. I hope this helps you overcome some of your concerns.

• Posted

That's all you'll most likely read on the internet is the horror stories. People who come out of the surgery fine aren't back on the internet looking for answers - they're off living their lives!!! Do NOT let them scare you, because I know it scared me!!

I'm almost 6 weeks post op and I'm 100% back to normal - so much better than before the surgery. I can eat anything I want, I don't have bowel problems and I'm ALIVE!! smile

This surgery is as easy as your tonsil surgery and you made it through that! You are literally knocked out so fast and the next thing you know you're waking. It was so surreal!! Sore for a few days afterwards but I was back to work in less than a week. I didn't have to take any of the pain killers they gave me, just over the counter pain medicine and only for 2 days.

Funny thing is, I was both bradycardic and tachycardic/hypertensive at different times throughout the surgery and I'm still kicking. I wouldn've never known if I hadn't had read it in the report. The things they can do nowadays is amazing.

• Posted

If it's any help i had my gallbladder out 5 days ago. I went into hospital 7.30am and was out on way home by 4.30pm. I too read the horror stories on here but also know a lot of people who have had the op and everyone is fine. The only side affect i have is a little soreness and feeling tired which is natural. So pleased to be rid of it. I'm sure you will be fine. Good luck.

• Posted

Were you able to walk around after the surgery or were you lying down for a few days?
    • Posted

Definitely walking around. The doctors advise to be as mobile as possible. I really didn't feel like lying down. They give you something to eat and drink and you have surgical srockings on for a week to prevent blood clots. You have soluable stitches so you won't have to have them out and the dressings are kept on for 7 to 10 days. I don't even have a follow up appointment. If you've any more questions i'll be only to happy to answer. I know how you feel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.